PDA

View Full Version : Proper use of copper help?

Jdavis8824
02/05/2016, 02:49 PM
Hi, I have 2 clowns and a Pygmy angel that all have ick. I added the angel with QT and he got ick now it spread to the clowns. I also had a dotty back but haven't seen him in 2 days. It's a 20g IM tank. I have a 10g HT set up with a powerfilter with filter floss from the DT, heater, and long airstone in it. I also have prazipro and cupramine. My first time QT. should I add the fish before I do the first dose of copper? How often do I change the water? When I change the water how do I go about keeping copper levels the same? And how much water do I change? I'm using half tank water and half new saltwater to start. Also how often do I dose copper after the first few doses? I have a API copper test kit. Only one I could find on short notice. And what else should I be doing? Does copper evaporate? Sorry so many questions... Thanks

Jdavis8824
02/05/2016, 08:25 PM
Any suggestions plz

pfan151
02/05/2016, 10:45 PM
You can put the fish in the qt then add the first half dose of cupramine. Then two days later add the second half dose (or you can go slower with getting the copper to .5 since the Pygmy angel might be sensitive to it). If you don't have any live rock or sand in the qt tank the copper level should stay pretty stable. I test every few days once I get the level to .5. You can do water changes when your water tests tell you they need to be done. I would do a 5 gal water change a week. Add copper to replace what was removed in the water change (should be about 1ml of copper for 5 gal of water). Order the seachem or salfeirt copper test kit. Throw away the API one. Keep your fish at .5 copper for 4 weeks. Leave your display tank fishless for 72 days.

A.Astore
02/07/2016, 10:24 AM
I would use a Tank Transfer method because of the angel. It wouldn't cost much fashion a tote type container for the second tank and it will be less of a hassle for you! If you use copper you will have to carefully manage copper levels and test often in a small tank. Evaporation will cause fluctuations as will water changes so you will need a copper test specific for the copper based meds you are using. Tank transfer will allow you to not have to mess with nearly as much so long as you get the salinity and temp the same in both containers. You will have to make new water for each flip and have different heater and powerhead for each BUT it is FAR less work in the end (no need for meds or water changes, just new water and a little cleaning between). I definitely suggest looking into it. You will also need to leave your display tank with no fish for 72 days to make sure there is no ICH waiting for a host.

I have heard mixed results of the API Copper tests with Cupramine so I would be hesitant to use it with an Angel in the mix. You will also get false ammonia readings with Cupramine if you have API test kits for that.

What I would suggest is find a way to precisely measure the amount of water you are pulling for the water change and also the amount of water your are putting back in. You will then need to determine the number of drops needed for that specific amount (remember after you have fully dosed you will need to double the number on the bottle for the full strength so if it is 20 drops for 10 gallons you would need 40 for 10 gallons to be full strength but you are placing 2 gallons of new water so you would need about 8 drops) and then you will still want to test the levels. This is why I say it is more of a pain!

I would also consider evaluating the number of fish you have in a 20 gallon display...