PDA

View Full Version : Lighting,skimmer,pump for 50G Help&Advice

kumaranEKS
02/06/2016, 04:54 AM
Hai, First Thank you for trying to help me out.

I'm planning to set up a FOWLR with Anemone initially then add a few corals at a later stage.
kindly suggest me the best value (not very costly ones) Lighting, Skimmer, Power head and Return Pump.

Doing hell a lot of research confused me and I'm unable to decide.
I'm mainly confused on lighting.
kindly suggest me the best and i will go with it.

Display Tank size :-

Length : 27.5 Inch (across the front)
Width : 22 Inch (front to back)
Height : 20 Inch (Tall)
Total display Gallons : 50 (excluding sump)

5 Inch clearance above to have lighting (correct me if i need more space above, then i will have to reduce the tank height)

Sump size :-

Length : 23 Inch (across the front)
Width : 14 Inch (front to back)
Height : 15 Inch (Tall) (total available height clearance - 21 Inches )

Thank you for your Time & helping me out.

Thank you.

Sk8r
02/09/2016, 03:43 PM
With an anemone or corals you will need a pretty good light, T5 at least, maybe LED. What you want is a 'reef capable' light. Here's an example of a T5: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+29413&pcatid=29413
LEDs are more expensive by quite a bit, but fewer bulb changes, run cooler, and are smaller in space requirement, but have to be mounted where they cannot collect moisture. Water will kill them.
For a 50 gallon tank, I'd recommend a Mag 9.5 or other 950 gph return pump; Eheim is a good brand. And for a skimmer, Coralife isn't the most potent, but it's easy to handle and less expensive. I have a 200. For a 50, I'd go this one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+13924&pcatid=13924, the 125 gallon-rated one.
If not that one, something that handles a 100 gallon tank. I know it's a 50 but you want as much skimmer as you can get.

These aren't the only brands or choice, do shop around, but this will give you an idea of the size and type things you need.

Hope that helps.

Drae
02/09/2016, 04:18 PM
6x24 watt ati sunpower or aquaticlife.
Fluval sp2 return pump or sicce syncra 4 (gate valve to reduce flow)
Sea side aquatics es5 skimmer or aquamaxx co-1.
Jmo. Btw spend a little more in the Beginning if possible to avoid purchasing Better equipment later. Used quality products are better than brand new lower level stuff.

worm5406
02/19/2017, 09:46 PM
So where do you stand with this so far? Just checking in on you.