PDA

View Full Version : Is the really a Superman Monti?

Cambria
02/06/2016, 08:36 PM
A while back I got a tiny piece of red encrusting montipora and the guy said he couldn't remember what it's called but it's expensive.

I've been looking at pictures of superman montiporas and I don't know if this is actually a superman. Is this a superman or could it be something else?

SoloGarth
02/06/2016, 09:07 PM
Names like that are often given to many color variations/species. That doesn't look like the superman monti I have but that could be due to a number of other factors.

SoloGarth
02/06/2016, 09:10 PM
Also those polyps look strange.
This is what my "superman" monti looks like.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160207/6f45198ffe8562633df91daa4b45ad99.jpg

PederP
02/07/2016, 03:24 AM
To me, it almost looks like a leptastrea LPS, with those big polyps.. But may be wrong. Hard to tell size from the pic.

ReefWreak
02/07/2016, 08:54 AM
Looks like a cyphastrea from afar, but yes closer pics will help.

Also, unless it has lineage it's not a "superman", just an montipora danae that looks like a superman.

Also one of the cool things about a lot if the superman/rainbow/m. Danaes is that they'll change coloration depending on light intensity, quality, and direction, so even the same coral can have multiple colors in the same colony.

Cambria
02/07/2016, 01:10 PM
I attached 2 pictures (sorry they're poopy pictures). I really don't think it's an lps. It doesn't have lineage and the polyps are similar in size to my rainbow montipora. And it's definitely encrusting.

selje
02/07/2016, 01:20 PM
It's a Montipora. Hard to tell if this will develop in that direction. But it's very possible. Give it time and good conditions and it will develop further. How much light are you giving this pice?

Crazy PE on the Monti by the way!

Cambria
02/07/2016, 01:38 PM
It's a Montipora. Hard to tell if this will develop in that direction. But it's very possible. Give it time and good conditions and it will develop further. How much light are you giving this pice?

Crazy PE on the Monti by the way!

I have radions gen2 at 35% intensity and the monti is probably about 14" away from the light. I've had this piece for a couple years now. Just recently I've been trying to stabilize my parameters because I had my calcium real low and now the red is really starting to pop and it seems like it's happier since I've been adding calcium.