PDA

View Full Version : red sea reefer 250 equipment

Maxi
02/06/2016, 10:34 PM
So in the upcoming months I will start collecting equipment for my new project.

I'm looking to do a mixed reef, majority lps and some sps of course. No anemones, maybe a clam.

Dimensions are 35.5 x 21 x 20

Part of planning involves cost.

Also, what pump, and skimmer?

Thank you in advance.

gary504504
02/07/2016, 08:54 AM
I have a redsea 350 and I have a reef Octopus dc 5500 return pump,vertex omega 180i skimmer, you would be good with the vertex omega 130 tho,I use aquamaxx biopellet reactor and go reactor, I use a good 618 calcium reactor and a custom 5 gallon top of reservoir in the chiller compartment,I run a floating canopy with 2 ghl mitras led units supplemented with 2 48inch t5s,and I control it all with a reefkeeper elite

gary504504
02/07/2016, 08:55 AM
Hope this helps, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask

Maxi
02/07/2016, 09:02 AM
Yeah that definitely helps. The biggest tank ive ever had was a 26 gallon bowfront that I drilled myself. Did is totally different as the plumbing was done by me before haha.

Is it possible to run an LED only fixture for what I want to keep? I live in Florida in an area that one company monopolizes all of the city with their set utility cost (highest in Florida) were talking sometimes a 300$ Bill for a 1 bedroom apartment.

So far I got the vertex omega skimmer on the list. I'll check out the pump brand you told me in a minute. Do you think a single MP10 would be enough for flow?

Drae
02/07/2016, 06:27 PM
Not a fan of the vertex omega skimmers. They're built nicely but from what I've seen they're not balanced that well. The aquamaxx co-1 won't work because of the sump depth so I'd say look at the deltec sc1351. I'd look at fluval sp pumps also, they're Italian made and they're extremely quiet. Aquamaxx media reactor x1 for gfo. No need to run one for carbon imo. I'd just run a nylon or media bag with carbon in it through the filter sock because the gph you'd need for this tank would be perfect for this method (300 gph after head loss).I'd also run the reactor off of the return pump so I'd get the sp4 and gate valve it down. Lights for me would be led t5 hybrid and I've never ran all led so I can't suggest an all led fixture. Nano box and ati make nice hybrid lights (never seen the nano box but they look promising). I used to not like the vortec pumps but I have recently changed my mind on these and would use them. Apex controller and call it a day. All of this of course is jmo.

gary504504
02/07/2016, 11:20 PM
My vertex omega 180i is a beast and collects the nastiest of skimate,they can be finicky to adjust but once it's adjusted easily the best skimmer I've owned and I've had a few,and my reef Octopus dc 5500 is completely silent, don't know it's running at all, not even a hum,but the way the vertex is dead silent too,so much so the all you can hear on my set up is the biopellets spinning in the reactor