PDA

View Full Version : biopellets

corndog1212
02/06/2016, 10:52 PM
I want to introduce biopellets into my reef but need to get advice on what brand I should go with. I was thinking the brs brand, but don't know any better.:spin2: you people are the best! Ive been gone for awhile. Trying to get back in the game before starting a new 60 gal cube!

Geissijs
02/06/2016, 10:56 PM
I am interested in this topic as well, can't wait to hear what people have to say.

gary504504
02/07/2016, 08:48 AM
I have an aquamaxx biopellet reactor and love it,great flow, easy to open when needed, never had a problem with it,it's been running 2 years on 2 different tanks,had It on a custom miracles 130 and now running on my redsea reefer 350

corndog1212
02/07/2016, 10:51 AM
What brand of pellets? Does anyone know if the brs brand are considered all in one pellets?

phxreefer
02/07/2016, 10:52 AM
I think any reputable brand for BP will work. What's more important is the reactor and the volume of pellets IMO. I also think the method used is critical, so I'll attempt to give my 2 cents here. Just to give background I,ve used something like 5 different reactors on 3 setups ( 40b, 160, and 350) and several different brands of pellets (TLF NPX, and Brightwell), to me they're both the same BW is just a smaller pellet size.

The are several keys to success in my opinion with biopellets, so here goes.
1 they must be kept tumbling at all times and the more the better, as the pellets load up with bacteria they will tend to stick together and clump, adding flow at this point may or may not help for several reasons. In my opinion it's best to just start with what looks like way too much flow because by the time you see that they're slowing it's too late, I think this is from runaway bacteria population growth. This brings me to point two.

I think pellets should be started before they are needed. This allows the bacteria to grow to a low level and stay there, basically limited by the amount of pellets. If added later when you're looking for reduction, there is just too much food for them and they go crazy, and this I believe is what causes the problems most experience with pellets. Like RTN/STN, cyano, and bacteria blooms. I also think most add too much pellets looking for quicker reductions when they are focused on that.

I would start with a very low level, something like 1/4 of the recommended dose, or less, and slowly add if you can't keep N and P low. To give you an example I'm running 1/2 cup in 400g system 35 fish, LPS, and SPS.The other recommendation is not to rely solely on the pellets, I'd use a combination of efforts to keep nutrients in check, strong skimming (which is a must for pellets anyway), water changes, and even a fugue if possible (although I don't have one).

This is just my opinion, I'm sure there are others and would welcome those. I sure there's more I could say but hope this is a good start.

corndog1212
02/07/2016, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the info. I have tried carbon dosing with vodka and couldn't keep up with the day to day dose as good as I would like. I'm trying to not have to start the tank over! I have a out brake of calurpa in my display and in the process pulling out as much as I can every water change.

phxreefer
02/07/2016, 11:29 AM
Well that sheds light on your circumstance. You're in the spot I think most are in when they look to pellets. My advice is to go slow, and keep doing what you're doing. Too fast with the pellets could cause you major problems and even some coral losses depending on what you have. Think of them as getting some help with the process, not as a cure all that will end the battle. GL.

BIGCYCS805
02/07/2016, 11:34 AM
I tried all in one bio pellets not a big fan although they did keep numbers stable the GFO shed and constant cleaning of my sump wasn't worth it to me if it got all over my sump and my equipment it has to be in my display tank and I ran the out put into a filter sock I've since switched to ecobak plus and haven't noticed any big changes besides not having a brown haze on everything

corndog1212
02/07/2016, 12:15 PM
You guys are awesome! I am also wanting to change my 29 bio cube to a 60 reef ready cube. I need to learn from mistakes, and do this the right way. Does anyone know if bio pellets can be used during the cycle or just after?

phxreefer
02/07/2016, 12:17 PM
I have started to run pellets during cycle and have had no problems. Sooner the better in my opinion.

corndog1212
02/07/2016, 12:23 PM
I'm going to run the brs brand on the new tank for sure. thanks for helping! now I have to start a new thread to get help with the calurpa in my 75!!!

phxreefer
02/07/2016, 12:43 PM
Ok, as for the macro I have no experience with calurpa but have some with others. In my experience it will be more hardy than corals will, so you'll starve the coral before you beat the macro if you get too aggressive on nutrient depletion. I would go slow, manually remove, and keep it away from anything it might cover up and kill. In time you should be able to get it to a minimum and/or get it gone.

wildman926
02/07/2016, 02:02 PM
I have an aquamaxx biopellet reactor and love it,great flow, easy to open when needed, never had a problem with it,it's been running 2 years on 2 different tanks,had It on a custom miracles 130 and now running on my redsea reefer 350

I love mine too. But, biopellets did not do a thing for my tank after 8 months. I run an ATS now, and converted my reactors to chaeto reactors. I believe, and the growth both of them tell me, that they pull out all of the unhealthy, excess wastes in the tank. I have to clean my ATS's every two weeks, or they are completely clogged. My chaeto reactor is cleaned every 2 months +/-. My chaeto reactor is made from Aquamaxx Biopellet reactors (I saw no change in my tanks after 8 months of use), and I use Floyd R Turbo's L2 ATS's.

Here is one set, my 150g -

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/wildman926/Aquariums/Algae%20Turf%20Scrubbers/532D13E0-3967-4DD3-83EB-5708DEB34E21_zps2e7c93c0.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/wildman926/Aquariums/Chaeto%20Reactors/150g%20Chaeto%20Reactor_zpskitzdznt.jpg

Here is the waste pulled out of a chaeto reactor after 2 months, and both ATS's from each tank -

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/wildman926/Aquariums/Chaeto%20Reactors/150g%20CR%20ATS2_zpsdwaaxv0z.jpg

corndog1212
02/07/2016, 02:34 PM
That is bad a$$!!! Thanks!

phxreefer
02/07/2016, 03:41 PM
I agree that an ATS can also work very well. Only reason I don't currently use mine is
Because it is more labor intensive and caused my evap to go way up. On a 400 gal system with only manual refil of the ATO this becomes a big concern. I do like the idea of the chaeto reactor though and might build one if I can solve the light spill issue.

corndog1212
02/07/2016, 04:45 PM
Wildman. Can you lead me to some info on turning a reactor into a ats.

VWD
02/07/2016, 04:55 PM
The reactor is a cool idea.

Osama
02/08/2016, 01:59 PM
Interested in topic as am experiencing high phosphate and used No NoxPox that I just stopped as my nitrates were at zero but phosphate high at .28 or so. Using my existing Phosban reactor that was idle to tumble All In One pellets.... Hope that works to get the tank rebalanced

wildman926
02/08/2016, 05:06 PM
I agree that an ATS can also work very well. Only reason I don't currently use mine is
Because it is more labor intensive and caused my evap to go way up. On a 400 gal system with only manual refil of the ATO this becomes a big concern. I do like the idea of the chaeto reactor though and might build one if I can solve the light spill issue.

It is very easy to maintain, especially the enclosed version I use. It is also no change in evaporation due to the closed design. The open waterfall design will definitely give you that.

Wildman. Can you lead me to some info on turning a reactor into a ats.

Sure thing. I just used the small version of the Aquamaxx biopellet reactor. I wish I had used the large one. I love how the water spins through the reactor, instead of going straight up. I may not do that too much with the chaeto though.

I used THESE (http://www.ebay.com/itm/291295623501?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) lights, and cut them to length. Be sure to use them on 4 sides of the reactor, and I used epoxy at the ends to secure them. I had some spare dc power supplies hanging around.

I use a Sicce Syncra 1 for flow. Perfect flow rate through the reactor. They are also dead quiet. I also use that pump for my ATS's as well.

Please let me know how else I can help. Thanks.

phxreefer
02/08/2016, 09:02 PM
Yes, my ATS is a waterfall similar to yours though might not be as nice. Your enclosed version is a very cool idea. There is a reactor based chaeto filter that I have seen pictures of but know very little about. I couldn't see where to buy it and read it is very expensive. I love the DIY ingenuity that comes from RC. Thanks for showing it to us.