PDA

View Full Version : Full siphon into scrubber

worldcitizen93
02/07/2016, 12:14 PM
can and should you run a full siphon drain into a scrubber?

phxreefer
02/07/2016, 12:22 PM
Depends if it is the main siphon drain or simply another drain that happens to be a siphon also. If it's the main drain I would say no, it needs to be as consistent as possible to work properly. An ATS will slow the flow over time due to clogs, algea growth, or whatever else, even when we'll designed. I would just feed it with a small pump rather than mess with the system drain, if that's even what you're talking about. HTH.

worldcitizen93
02/07/2016, 12:31 PM
Depends if it is the main siphon drain or simply another drain that happens to be a siphon also. If it's the main drain I would say no, it needs to be as consistent as possible to work properly. An ATS will slow the flow over time due to clogs, algea growth, or whatever else, even when we'll designed. I would just feed it with a small pump rather than mess with the system drain, if that's even what you're talking about. HTH.

yes it would be feed from my main drain. i would like to make this work somehow, i will have an emergency drain as well.

worldcitizen93
02/07/2016, 12:34 PM
another note the tank is 30g and the scrubber is a vertical 8" high 6" wide.

phxreefer
02/07/2016, 12:38 PM
You could try, but I suspect it will make your return unstable over time and you'll be doing a lot of adjusting to your drain. Worst case scenario would be to start that way and re plumb if you don't like it.

worldcitizen93
02/07/2016, 12:51 PM
yea i figure if I cut the slot a little wider than an 1/8" i should get enough flow to compensate both worlds(scrubber and drain flow).

worldcitizen93
02/09/2016, 11:54 AM
Anyone else have comments on this? It would be greatly appreciated!

grizzly123
02/09/2016, 12:32 PM
I do it with mine and have no issues with flow remaining consistent.

outy
02/09/2016, 12:35 PM
can and should you run a full siphon drain into a scrubber?

You should never have a siphon drain ever

You should have a return flow based on pump input.

I have my ATS hooked to my return flow and it works fine.

ca1ore
02/09/2016, 03:21 PM
Anyone else have comments on this? It would be greatly appreciated!

I run my ATS off the siphon drain and it works flawlessly. The key is to make sure that the gate valve is what restricts the flow, not the scrubber slot. I'm assuming you run a dual drain 'herbie' type setup? A siphon as your sole drain is a bad idea.

Taking advantage of gravity is always preferred over running another pump!!!

worldcitizen93
02/10/2016, 10:15 AM
thank you guys for the feed back! I just got my tank back from being drilled so im going to start the plumbing today, but yes Im doing the herbie method main drain and emergency. It says the drain outlet needs to be submerged does this matter? And should cut the ats slot a bit wider than an 1/8in?

worldcitizen93
02/10/2016, 10:58 AM
I run my ATS off the siphon drain and it works flawlessly. The key is to make sure that the gate valve is what restricts the flow, not the scrubber slot. I'm assuming you run a dual drain 'herbie' type setup? A siphon as your sole drain is a bad idea.

Taking advantage of gravity is always preferred over running another pump!!!

I do it with mine and have no issues with flow remaining consistent.

Thanks for the replies! and yes Im doing the herbie method. should i make thee scrubber slot a little wider than 1/8"? I havent plumbed everything yet this is an acrylic drain box i made its8x8x4in and the scubber is 6x8in341712. the picture doesnt do it justice.

EnderG60
02/10/2016, 01:21 PM
I have all 3 of my bean animal style drains run to a collector then to my scrubber. Works great, just make sure you have a bypass in case you have to much flow for the screen.

Also keep in mind my screen is 18x18 and that was the only way I could get enough flow over it with out adding another huge pump.

worldcitizen93
02/10/2016, 10:39 PM
I have all 3 of my bean animal style drains run to a collector then to my scrubber. Works great, just make sure you have a bypass in case you have to much flow for the screen.

Also keep in mind my screen is 18x18 and that was the only way I could get enough flow over it with out adding another huge pump.

how do you have your bypass set up? what fitting is needed?

worldcitizen93
02/11/2016, 04:42 PM
ok so ive totally unsure how i should does this. Ive already set my sump up to have it run off the the main siphon drain(herbie setup) This is the way i would want to do it so i dont have to shell out more money on a pump(especially the noisey cheap ones). Who has experience running a full siphon into a scrubber? your help is much appreciated!

Vinny Kreyling
02/11/2016, 05:47 PM
You could always use a tee & a valve to control the flow to the scrubber & let the rest flow into the sump.

worldcitizen93
02/12/2016, 12:28 AM
You could always use a tee & a valve to control the flow to the scrubber & let the rest flow into the sump.

A valve separate from the ball valve that is creating the full siphon?

worldcitizen93
02/12/2016, 12:55 AM

Vinny Kreyling
02/12/2016, 08:11 AM
Yes another valve to divert some water to the ATS.