PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor

R24
02/08/2016, 08:59 AM
Hello all I am a new member and this is my first thread! I have been in the hobby for 11 years and have had 3 tanks, i usually build up a tank for 3-4 years and then get aggravated with the tremendous upkeep of keeping a reef. This time i have had my tank up 6 weeks and am trying to do it the right way. I bought a 125 gallon Cad Lights tank with the prebuilt sump and skimmer. I bought the radian Lights (XR30x2)which i absolutely love but now want to tackle a Calcium Reactor. This actually scares me as it is something i have never ventured into before. I have researched this online a bit, but can't figure out how much additional plumbing i would need, can someone please let me know from their experience if this is the right direction to go? I have heard these greatly reduce some of the daily upkeep, and i am thinking this is the right direction for me. Just don't know where to start. Thanks in advance for your help. PS I will be fully stocking this tank with both SPS and LPS corals(a great deal of them over time of course), some tangs and a few clowns.

AZRippster
02/08/2016, 09:45 AM
I've been running a Calc Reactor for the past 6 years and now would never consider running an SPS tank without one. I also supplement with Kalk. Together they keep ALK and CALC very stable. As far as plumbing, there is only typically a small 1/4" feed line and 1/4" effluent line involved. Some units self prime while other need a small feed pump. In my setup I have a manifold that delivers tank water to different filtration devices as necessary. If you decide to go Calc Reactor, be sure to oversize a bit from what the manufacturer recommends, you'll be happy you did when your coral start scarfing down the ALK and CALC.