PDA

View Full Version : Rate my cleanup crew

jorge18
02/08/2016, 02:15 PM
hey everyone,

Getting ready to buy my CUC for my new 55 gallon. I've done a lot of reading and have come to the (obvious) conclusion that they packages that most places sell include way too much, so I want to start small and then work my way up if anything. What do you guys think of the following:

5 Trochus
5 Nassarius
5 Cerith
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
3 Scarlet Hermit
1 Emerald Crab

Since I have no fish in there yet, I plan on putting some fish flakes or pellets in there once or twice a week to give the little guys something to eat.

Thoughts?

Mark426
02/08/2016, 02:24 PM
I am not a fan of shrimp. They eventually become the devil themselves. My 2 cents.

jorge18
02/08/2016, 02:25 PM
I am not a fan of shrimp. They eventually become the devil themselves. My 2 cents.
In what sense?

thelawnwrangler
02/08/2016, 02:28 PM
hey everyone,

Getting ready to buy my CUC for my new 55 gallon. I've done a lot of reading and have come to the (obvious) conclusion that they packages that most places sell include way too much, so I want to start small and then work my way up if anything. What do you guys think of the following:

5 Trochus
5 Nassarius
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
3 Scarlet Hermit
1 Emerald Crab

Since I have no fish in there yet, I plan on putting some fish flakes or pellets in there once or twice a week to give the little guys something to eat.

Thoughts?

B- for no cerith snails

I love my cerith snails.

scooter31707
02/08/2016, 02:36 PM
If you are doing corals, they can irritate them and steal food. I have read some hobbyists saying Peppermint Shrimp nipping their corals. I don't recommend Emerald Crab, as they can eat small fish and more than likely it will eat your shrimp. Maybe add a Turbo snail to that list.

jorge18
02/08/2016, 02:41 PM
B- for no cerith snails

I love my cerith snails.

Hm, that seems like a big omission on my part. Updated my list to add another 5 of them.

Thanks!

If you are doing corals, they can irritate them and steal food. I have read some hobbyists saying Peppermint Shrimp nipping their corals. I don't recommend Emerald Crab, as they can eat small fish and more than likely it will eat your shrimp. Maybe add a Turbo snail to that list.

Hm, yes, I do plan on having corals, so I will do a little more research about that. I looked at the Turbo snail but I'm worried about them toppling over rocks which I read they are notorious for.

jrr98002
02/08/2016, 02:45 PM
You'll find several (myself included) people here debating the reef-safeness of nearly all crabs, as I've personally had experience with emerald crabs nipping at corals. Not bad, but enough to make me not like them. Also, have to second the vote for cerith snails. Great all-purpose CUC members.

cloak
02/08/2016, 05:43 PM
hey everyone,

5 Trochus
5 Nassarius
5 Cerith
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
3 Scarlet Hermit
1 Emerald Crab

Thoughts?

Sounds ok to me, although I would skip the emerald crab and just go with a couple of the larger Tongan Nassarius snails as opposed to the smaller vibex. If one of the reasons for buying this snail in particular is to stir up your substrate then keep in mind that YOU will always be much more efficient at this than any snail will ever be. Don't be afraid to either vacuum your sand bed or just stir it up on a regular basis. (preferably right before a water change) Also, once you start feeding your CUC they no longer function as janitors anymore, now they're pets. Something to think about. GL.

HammerLover
02/08/2016, 07:57 PM
Emerald crabs are kinda boring and some stay hidden most of the time.

Hermits can sometimes irritate corals because they love to cruise and climb and will stomp on some corals. Larger ones can tumble down small frags.

Peppermint shrimps were always good in keeping aiptasia under control. Ive never seen mine eat coral but I think its the camel shrimp that some people say a peppermint shrimp that eats corals. Camel shrimps look a lot like peppermint too.

For snails Ive loved every type of snail. I don't usually do cerith and astrea because when the fall over they can't flip themselves back. Ive always liked the turbo and nassarius. Bumblebees are very colorful too.

There are fishes that can eat algae much faster like the mower blenny. Its kinda ugly but its a very cute fish for me and has some personality as well.

This is just my opinion ^^

greaps
02/08/2016, 08:35 PM
Nice variety you went with, I'v read not to mix hermits with snails. I went 15 tiny blue legs in my 50g tank. I probably went to many, my initial plan was 10, but got anxious when I got my live rock order in and saw what I imagined would be a lot of die off. 10 hermits would be closer to ideal now that the rocks are cleaning up.

rq786
02/08/2016, 08:40 PM
Emerald crabs not good
I purchased one this weekend to control bubble algae and a day later he chopped up my cleaner shrimp

jorge18
02/09/2016, 08:58 AM
Seems like more than enough convincing for me; I'll nix the emerald crab.

Thanks again for all your help, I'll be passing by the LFS to buy new new little friends tonight!

Pife
02/09/2016, 09:38 AM
I love my emerald crabs. Alk they do is work.

jorge18
02/09/2016, 06:44 PM
Thanks again for all your help!

Say hi to a couple of my new additions!

http://i.imgur.com/1fDljgj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/teTaBLq.jpg

Nick92515
02/09/2016, 08:11 PM
Does this evenue look like you had an algae bloom yet... also nerite and a 2 Mexican turbos are great. Mexican turbos love gha.

thelawnwrangler
02/09/2016, 08:25 PM
nice