PDA

View Full Version : Please help with lighting for 120G Cube

BigDave
02/09/2016, 02:23 PM
Hello All,

My new tank is 120G cube that is 31" deep.

I can't decide between T5 or LED. If I go with T5, I'd be limited to 36" bulbs. I've started doing some research, and it looks like the Hydra 26HD might be able to supply the tank with enough light just by itself. I have no idea what T5 setup would be comparable. Would T5's even be powerful enough for a tank this deep?

My knowledge on reef tanks is 10 years old and out of date now, so the newer technologies are new to me.

I'd rather not run MH.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Drae
02/09/2016, 04:07 PM
What's the tanks dimensions? I'm a t5 person but I believe that a hybrid setup (t5/led) might be tops these days. To answer your question about depth, t5's have no problem growing high light coral at a 30" depth if setup properly. Individual reflectors and proper bulbs and ballast.

BigDave
02/09/2016, 06:34 PM
The tank is a 120 gallon cube that is 30l x 30w x 31h.

Drae
02/09/2016, 07:24 PM
If budget allows I'd go for the 8x24/1x75 watt power module hybrid. You'll never need another light. EVER! Second choice would be a 8x24 watt ati sunpower with 2 reef brites attached. You'll grow coral on the sand bed easily.

BigDave
02/10/2016, 05:36 AM
I did a search for those fixtures and they all showed up for sale overseas. Do you have any links to suppliers in the US?

Those may be a bit out of my budget. The first one definitely is.

But if an 8x24 T5 is powerful enough for my tank, then that makes me happy.

Drae
02/10/2016, 10:07 AM
http://m.marinedepot.com/products/uz3003/ati-24-inch-sunpower-t5ho-high-output-fixtures

Drae
02/10/2016, 10:13 AM
That fixture will absolutely grow sps without question and will light your tank corner to corner. The best part about t5 is there's no playing around with controllers or finding the right intensity or anything of that nature. Plug and play. Get ati bulbs as well. I'd run 4 blue plus
2 coral plus
1 ge 6500
1 purple plus.
Jmo

BigDave
02/10/2016, 11:13 AM
Thank-you for the link and the additional information.

Unfortunately, I think the ATI's are going to be a bit out of my budget. I'll shop around and see if I can find an 8-bulb 24" T5 setup that will work.

Drae
02/10/2016, 11:54 AM
Thank-you for the link and the additional information.

Unfortunately, I think the ATI's are going to be a bit out of my budget. I'll shop around and see if I can find an 8-bulb 24" T5 setup that will work.

The ati sunpower is a lot cheaper than the power module hybrid. Used units come up often. Brand new this fixture is under $500 so used I'm sure you can find one closer to $300

BigDave
02/10/2016, 12:50 PM
In another post I mentioned that I have an 8-bulb T5 HO fixture used for aquaponics, but the bulbs are 48".

I'm highly considering ripping it apart and getting ballasts that support 24" bulbs. I could use all the other components from the light and even cut down the reflectors to build a DIY solution.

The problem I'm running in to now is figuring out a correct ballast for the 24" lights. I think I'll try to take the light apart this weekend and see how it's built.

Drae
02/10/2016, 02:19 PM
A little ingenuity goes a long way in reefing.

BigDave
02/10/2016, 08:47 PM
I had some time this evening, so I dismantled one of the lights. It was extremely easy. Basically all I had to do was remove the reflector and I had full access to the ballasts.

Unfortunately, the ballasts are designed for only 54w bulbs.

Good news is, it does look like I should just be able to buy new ballasts and I can reuse the rest.

Now... anyone know of a good ballast that supports 4 24" T5 bulbs? I'll need two.

BigDave
02/11/2016, 08:27 AM
Google is our friend!

Looks like I found the ballast I need. The Workhorse 5 will push 4 24" T5 HO bulbs. Nice thing is, they're only $23 each.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AB32J7S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1TR3NQACBVAUY&coliid=ICWLRDNL2XH8E

I'll need to buy some bulbs. I'll start with the ones recommended earlier in the post. I'll cut the reflectors down to the proper size and remount the end caps to a new canopy. The only other thing I'm thinking of doing is replacing the two on/off switches with relays so I can turn them on/off directly from an arduino.

Should be a fun project.

BigDave
02/11/2016, 08:36 AM
On the bulbs recommended above, does it matter how you space them out? My lights will have 2 channels, so I can do a pseudo sunrise/sunset by offsetting the on/off times.

I'm thinking of putting the bulbs in the following order:
<<<
Channel Color
1 blue
2 coral
1 blue
2 ge
1 purple
2 blue
1 coral
2 blue
>>>

Or do I want the white/coral bulbs in the middle?
<<<
1 blue
2 blue
1 coral
2 ge
1 purple
2 coral
1 blue
2 blue
>>>

The tank is a cube, so I'm planning on setting the rock up through the middle as a peninsula.