PDA

View Full Version : Best aquarium computer?

mjohnson86
02/10/2016, 08:51 AM
So I have been contemplating a computer setup to help with maintenance on my 175 bow front.

I have Sunbrite LED's that are already on a timer and really wouldn't need controlling.

I do also have 2 Ecotech MP40QD's that are basically on all the time for flow at the moment.

As well as 2 Diablo DC pumps for returns.

And a beast of a skimmer in a Euroreef with 2 sedra 5000's.

I am wanting to control a heater, maybe the Ecotech's and a doser of some kind. What would be the best setup for not so crazy money? Just mainly looking for temp, Ph and maybe salinity (but not necessary).

dustinkimpel
02/10/2016, 09:05 AM
There is currently nothing better than the apex. Apex fusion will let you use any computer in your house to control it. As well as your phone.

mjohnson86
02/10/2016, 09:16 AM
So do I just need a JR with some added modules? Or go full blown with the Gold? Or just the standard Apex? Lab grade probes? Not trying to spend a fortune but also don't want to have to buy a bunch of extra stuff just to get what I need.

There is currently nothing better than the apex. Apex fusion will let you use any computer in your house to control it. As well as your phone.

Mark426
02/10/2016, 09:18 AM
IMO..the Standard covers most everything.

Harry_Y
02/10/2016, 11:02 AM
I have owned the Profilux, Reefkeeper Lite and Reefkeeper Elite

I Now run the Neptune Apex. As you have found the Apex has the largest following.
It is an extremely flexible controller and nobody else has the Fusion interface
that really tends to put them out in front.

My best advise is before you buy really look at the service side of
all of them some of the vendors out there have very poor support
(that was why I switched from the Reefkeeper to the Apex.)

PS: Reef Angel looks OK and some really seem to like the the Puratek
But at the end of the day the Apex really is the front leader.

mjohnson86
02/10/2016, 12:12 PM
Thanks Harry and Mark. I will do a little more research on Apex. I think they are probably the best way to go for the features I want.

On a side note anyone got a good link to buy Apex at any discounts?

dustinkimpel
02/10/2016, 12:17 PM
Thanks Harry and Mark. I will do a little more research on Apex. I think they are probably the best way to go for the features I want.

Sites don't discount it. Its a set price like ecotech. Everywhere will be around the same sell price. Check the used dry goods forum if you are hunting for a deal.

Harry_Y
02/10/2016, 06:29 PM
Sites don't discount it. Its a set price like ecotech. Everywhere will be around the same sell price. Check the used dry goods forum if you are hunting for a deal.

Some vendors will offer free shipping, so that may help.

rfcntr
08/20/2016, 05:06 PM
Apart from the probes etc, are they also controlling the many different water level controls or they have their own ?
What brands are they controlling ? Can they manage with Hydor or Tunze ?
Thanks

d2mini
08/20/2016, 08:39 PM
There is currently nothing better than the apex.

Except for GHL Profilux. :dance:

Fredfish
08/20/2016, 08:44 PM
... and my Chevy. Oh wait, I'm a Dodge guy. Well, except I drive a Matrix... :o

Best is in the eye of the beholder. I expect there are strengths and weaknesses to all the controllers.

kendrid
08/20/2016, 10:12 PM

Apex gear goes on sale the weekend of Black Friday. That is the only time I have ever seen it on sale.

If I remember correctly, it is 10% off.

The same goes for Vortech gear.

Johnseye
08/21/2016, 10:27 AM

While I don't own a Profilux I do own a GHL Doser 2. I also own an Apex and DOS so can accurately compare the two dosing systems. I suspect the Doser 2's interface to be similar to the Profilux but Dennis can correct me if I'm mistaken in my assumption.

The Apex has the most flexibility and features available. It provides a decent set of logs. The Doser 2 had none and when troubleshooting issues or verifying something like dosing amounts I think it's important. There are things I like and don't like about both but in the end I would buy an Apex again and I don't think I'd buy GHL. Apex is cutting edge and GHL is keeping up.

JaySchulz
08/21/2016, 11:10 AM
Can't say I can speak from personal experience as I don't have my Profilux I bought set up and I have never owned an Apex but from the research I've done the Apex is a little more cutting edge and is more compatible with more 3rd party companies. It has a bigger following, especially in the US.

The reason I choose the Profilux is i read quite a bit of complete tank failures with people running the Apex and barely any with the profilux. Maybe that's due to the bigger following but it seems that the consensus I've gathered is that the GHL is built better and more reliable. That in itself made the decision easy.

Lastly the GHL seems to be easily upgradable when a new model comes out. Someone correct me if any of my points are wrong as I'm new to aquarium controllers.

HippieSmell
08/21/2016, 11:32 AM
If you want to code, apex. If you want the coding done for you, which reduces some flexibility but increases reliability and stability, Profilux.

reefwiser
08/21/2016, 11:52 AM
I have used Apex and GHL. Have a GHL now and like how easy it is to program and how flexible it is. I do PLC control work for a living and wanted to a unit that was compact and not have boxes everywhere. Loved the GHL doser 2 I purchased small built like a tank.
So when i went looking at the controller for this new tank purchased the Profilux. While there are less users here in the US that means you can get one on one attention for Their US support staff. Most issues I have had where resolved by me learning what I was doing wrong.:) With Apex I was just one of the masses. I like the personal attention with GHL the owner of the company will even answer your question.

d2mini
08/21/2016, 01:46 PM
Can't say I can speak from personal experience as I don't have my Profilux I bought set up and I have never owned an Apex but from the research I've done the Apex is a little more cutting edge and is more compatible with more 3rd party companies. It has a bigger following, especially in the US.

The reason I choose the Profilux is i read quite a bit of complete tank failures with people running the Apex and barely any with the profilux. Maybe that's due to the bigger following but it seems that the consensus I've gathered is that the GHL is built better and more reliable. That in itself made the decision easy.

Lastly the GHL seems to be easily upgradable when a new model comes out. Someone correct me if any of my points are wrong as I'm new to aquarium controllers.

Spot on.

As far as the "more cutting edge" comments go, I've always had the same feeling as android devices vs apple. I'd rather wait and go with the company that takes their time in developing their own products and not releasing them until they are perfect. Rather than rebranding other products and getting stuff out quickly to be first to market.

The most important thing to me in a controller, beyond doing what I need it to do which pretty much any of them can, is to be as stable as freakin possible. Profilux is the only controller I feel I can trust with thousands of dollars in livestock and countless of hard work. The bonuses are it's a cinch to set up (always has been), it's upgradeable AND fixable at home, almost everything is included in the main box without a bunch of add-ons, and customer support has been getting better and better.

The log thing Johnseye mentioned... i honestly have no idea. That's not something I've ever looked for. The Profilux is so easy to use and I guess I keep things as simple as possible. I can see what's going on or what has occurred without it. I can view the graphs for the probes to see what's been happening over time. I know what the doser is doing and can see how much it's dosing daily.

The doser... to me you can't even compare to the Apex. 4 pumps vs 2, silent vs noisy, compact vs huge, plus the extras included with the ghl like level and temp ports, ports for the ghl magnetic stirrers, ability to add slave units for up to 16 pumps... it's pretty killer.

Johnseye
08/21/2016, 03:49 PM
The doser... to me you can't even compare to the Apex. 4 pumps vs 2, silent vs noisy, compact vs huge, plus the extras included with the ghl like level and temp ports, ports for the ghl magnetic stirrers, ability to add slave units for up to 16 pumps... it's pretty killer.

Agreed on all counts. I'm using my Doser 2 now and my DOS is shelved. I had read the DOS's pumps were more accurate and reliable :confused: That said, I do miss the logs so I can view a record of exactly how much was dosed when. That came in handy when my DOS's control board got moisture on it and emptied what was left in the Reservoir into my tank. Luckily not much was left in the Res. You'll note the DOS failed on me, and that was pretty upsetting. Probably my fault for it getting moisture on it, but that's why I bought the Doser 2.

I'm also a bit of a tweaker. I'm in IT so like to fiddle with stuff and coding doesn't intimidate me. To me simple doesn't mean better, it means limited. That's why there are PCs, Android and Apple. Different strokes and variety is a good thing.

ReefCowboy
08/21/2016, 05:18 PM
In my humble opinion, it all depends with the needs of the tank and how much "control" one needs from the computer.

I believe the Apex/Profilux are the top choices with the Apex coming a bit better due to excellent support and available optional modules and equipment here in the US.

Ive noticed making a tank 100% dependent of a computer is not a wise thing, so much of the excessive coding or advanced features of these computers arent really necessary for a tank that runs safe, with its "vital" components(return pump, heater..) running independently in case of a system malfunction.

To me all controllers are sufficient to run any tank, but the advantage is to go with one that often offers new features and equipment while being present to the local market. Neptune has done a great job in my opinion in that regard.

d2mini
08/21/2016, 07:02 PM
^^^ Yep, all depends what you are looking for, but they can all do a fine job in controlling your tank.

Just wanted to mention, equipment availability is no longer an issue with GHL, which was frustrating at times in the past for USA customers.
All in stock and shipping from Florida.
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/shop/

Plus... there is a new USA support team in place.