PDA

View Full Version : How to reduce Vibration Noise on Return pump?

Ojos22
02/10/2016, 02:03 PM
I have a Reeflo Hammerhead/Barracuda Gold Hybrid putting out about 3,000 to 4,000 GPH I am estimating and there is an pretty loud humming noise that can be heard throughout the house and mostly in the office where the return pump goes too. I do have the pump it self sitting on two 5/8" inch Pink Insulation you can buy at Home Depot and cut to size. It is just as loud in the office as it is at the pump in the basement. I have the pump plumbed with 1.5" Schedule 40 PVC. There is about 25 Feet of 1.5 " piping (10 Feet Horizontal and 15 Feet Vertical) to go from the pump in the basement to the top of the tank on the main level. I am thinking that a lot of the noise is resonating like an exhaust pipe on a car because of the vibrations. My question is, has anyone ever wrapped their return plumbing with anything to reduce the humming noise that is being created? What did you use? How much did it reduce the noise? I don't expect it to be dead silent but I was hoping the majority of the noise would only isolated to the basement.

I would be happy to post pics or give more details about the tank if needed.

Thank you!

lantonini
02/10/2016, 04:07 PM
you can try feeding and returning the pump with 3' to 4' of flexible hose to allow slight moments before it hits the solid pipe.

billdogg
02/10/2016, 05:44 PM
^^^What he said^^^

IMHO, you should never hard plumb all the way to the pump. 3' is probably overkill however. I use 12-18" for all of mine. You might also slip a silicone hotpad under the pump. Also check to make sure the pvc is not touching anything on it's run except hangers, and isolate them as best you can. Every little bit helps.

Sk8r
02/10/2016, 05:53 PM
I use that beady stuff they put under carpets to avoid slippage. Folded and tucked under the pump itself. Hard pipe works better if there's an interval of hose in the course of it, IME, and I don't like to pipe a return line. Even drains can buck a bit.

ChadO
02/10/2016, 10:01 PM
I know my return pump is much smaller, but I read that putting a silicon pad (pot holder) under the pump would help eliminate the hum. So, when I put my Eheim pump in my BioCube, I did indeed have a bit of a hum and it resonated on the stand, and then on the hardwood floors. I went to Ace Hardware, picked up a silicon pot holder, cut it to size for my pump, then I used a large zip tie to secure it to the bottom of the pump, put it in, and it totally eliminated my humming noise for my situation.

Ojos22
02/11/2016, 12:25 PM
I have padding under the pump at the moment but I am hard plumbed all the way up. I will try to buy some flex hosing and see if that helps with the vibration noise it is making. Thank you very much for the feedback!

lwhite37
03/30/2017, 06:54 PM
I have padding under the pump at the moment but I am hard plumbed all the way up. I will try to buy some flex hosing and see if that helps with the vibration noise it is making. Thank you very much for the feedback!

Hi, I know this is an old post, but curious to know if adding the flex hosing helped with the vibrations? I have the same problem and was considering making the same change.

thanks

n2585722
03/30/2017, 07:21 PM
Try using some of this http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/white-soft-silicone-tubing-sold-by-the-foot.html between you pump and your return plumbing.

jda
03/30/2017, 08:49 PM
Use an old mousepad under the pump.

ca1ore
03/31/2017, 12:13 PM
How does the return enter the tank? If an over the rim return, also try putting some damping material under the PVC as it goes over the tank rim. Can you feel vibrations in the PVC return? also agree that the pink insulation may not be a great choice to damp vibrations. It's quite rigid.