PDA

View Full Version : Salinity/Conductivity Probe replacement?

alexkharden
02/10/2016, 02:59 PM
Is there an after-market replacement for the Apex salinity probe? I see BRS has their own versions of PH and ORP probes, but I couldn't find a salinity version.

If not, is there a "regular" version?

The only thing I keep finding is the Lab grade Apex probe for 125 bucks.

Thanks!

slief
02/10/2016, 03:14 PM
There is only one probe for the Apex that I'm aware of and that's the Neptune Lab Grade one. Are you sure yours is dead? I've had mine since the PM2 was first released and it still works great. Just needs an occasional calibration which I do about once a year.

alexkharden
02/10/2016, 03:21 PM
I bought the system used and it wasn't stored correctly. It's reading about 64 right now with the tank temp at 72. I've only added 1 bag of 200 gallon worth of salt to about 250 gallons of water, so I would think my salinity would read low, not high.

I have some calibration fluid, and once the temp and salinity (per Refractometer) are up to their correct points I'll calibrate it and see what it does.

But I'm making the pre-emptive assumption now that it's toast from improper storage and looking to see what other options are available.

n2585722
02/10/2016, 08:08 PM
I am not sure on the Apex salinity probe , but the DA salinity probe can be stored dry.

Member No. 1
02/10/2016, 08:13 PM
If it's been stored, and you just re-wetted it, even though it's reading wrong, I'd let it settle for a week then try calibrating it.

slief
02/10/2016, 09:22 PM
If it's been stored, and you just re-wetted it, even though it's reading wrong, I'd let it settle for a week then try calibrating it.

+1.

Leave the probe in the tank water for a couple weeks. It should be fine.

Then calibrate it. Be sure to let the probe settle for several minutes or more between each calibration step. I usually let it settle for 10 minutes each step to insure the readings in the calibration screen stop changing.

alexkharden
02/10/2016, 09:38 PM
Ok, I'll try that. Thank you guys! I hope it's good to go, that would be really nice. I have the same concerns about the ph and orp probes. Hopefully they'll calibrate out well too. The ph that is, I'm not paying the money to get the stuff to calibrate the orp probe.