PDA

View Full Version : Using a DC pump on its side

DrawnToBeaches
02/10/2016, 06:44 PM
I'm having clearance issues inside of my sump and am wondering if I can run a pump on its side with the outlet going into an elbow? The pipe I'm using is 1-1/2 so the only other option to stand it upright is to cut the fitting bells in half or down to a quarter and I'd rather not do that

sleepydoc
02/10/2016, 08:56 PM
You should be able to do that without a problem. What pump is it? Can you remove the cover to the volute and rotate it 90º?

slief
02/10/2016, 09:30 PM
Running the pump on it's side won't be an issue but unless you add something between the pump and the bottom of the sump, you will likely get some noise as a result of vibration or resonance. Should rubber feet and even neoprene would be a good option. An elbow right on the outlet will reduce flow substantially. I would try to avoid that if at all possible. As sleepy suggested, removing and rotating the volute would be the best bet if at all possible.

Bagabaga
02/10/2016, 11:57 PM
And I think by veloute they mean impeller cover right?

slief
02/11/2016, 10:53 AM
And I think by veloute they mean impeller cover right?

That is correct. On most of these pumps, you can remove the 4 screws that hold the impeller cover/volute on to the pump and then rotate the cover and reinstall it.

Vinny Kreyling
02/11/2016, 11:22 AM
Rotate the volute cover by 90 degrees by removing the screws & turning the cover.
Mentioned right in the instructions.

Bagabaga
02/11/2016, 12:28 PM
Mostly just clarifying the terminology. Veloute is a word that most people don't use often and impeller cover would be more clear to the layman.

CheckeredPants
02/11/2016, 12:32 PM
Mostly just clarifying the terminology. Veloute is a word that most people don't use often and impeller cover would be more clear to the layman.

I use Veloute over a nice roasted chicken all the time. [emoji854]

Vinny Kreyling
02/11/2016, 01:08 PM
I think anyone running a pump should know what a volute is, that is IF they read the directions.

RocketEngineer
02/11/2016, 01:31 PM
I think anyone running a pump should know what a volute is, that is IF they read the directions.

Knowledge is what you get when you read the directions. Experience is what you get when you don't.

slief
02/11/2016, 04:33 PM

In the Bagabaga's defense, the instructions for some of the Chinese pumps don't make mention of the term volute. Jebao for example refers to it as a "pump cover".. LOL

http://www.fastlight.co.uk/acatalog/DCT%20MANUAL

Bagabaga
02/13/2016, 08:00 PM
Lol, I liked the chicken sauce comment the most. And yeah just trying to help after work and a few beers that day.