PDA

View Full Version : Maxspect LED Opinions

TimeConsumer
02/10/2016, 07:26 PM
I'm finalizing my relocation to Georgia soon. And with that comes my re-entrance to the hobby (broke down my 75g anticipating the job search). I found a great little Craigslist special for a 20g long setup with all the fixins but no fish or coral (a bonus IMO). It comes with a 27" 160w 16000k Maxspect Razor that is taking up approx $250 of the total cost.

Since I only know T5 and know little about LEDs I am looking for some direction on the Maxspect fixture. I can easily negotiate it out of the package deal, but finding a lighting solution for a 20 long (30" tank) at that price isn't that easy. Now I don't need a lot of light, I plan on only doing ricordea. I'm also not super picky about color temp, control features, user friendliness, etc. I really just want something that will make my ricordea look good and not break.

Any thoughts on the purchase? The way I price it out even a 2 bulb 24" T5 retrofit with DIY canopy still doesn't come out much cheaper than the Maxspect. A Par38 solution isn't cheaper either. Plus the used market for T5 fixtures is really limited and people snag them quick.

JoeBatt
02/10/2016, 10:56 PM
I have 2x the Maxspec your looking at and they are very good. The only things I would say is that they don't have the control that the Radions have i.e. through wireless but once you have them set you probably leave them anyway....as I do. You do get a little disco ball effect but I also supplement with T5 and that takes it right down and also helps greatly withe the shadowing you can get with the LEDs. If your looking for lights and your getting them cheap like this go for it :)