PDA

View Full Version : polyp colony creating

crankbait09
02/10/2016, 08:35 PM
I have a 130g tank and on the left and right side of the tank I have rock that is similar to reef saver rock that BRS sells. In the center of the tank is nothing but an aragonite sand bed.

I was going to leave that wide open, but am now having thoughts of starting a polyp colony, consisting of several colors.

I'm not sure what the best rock/structure is best to use for this. Or even how to start it up. I'm imagining a large rock in the shape of a dome, or the like, with multiple frag plug holes in it, that I would then glue each frag plug in to and await for it to grow. Am I right about that?

Has anyone done something like this that can offer some advice prior to me starting? Is this a good or bad idea?

thelawnwrangler
02/11/2016, 08:00 AM
I like your idea- very new, but I have a similar idea
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557924

I have a 36 gallon so don't really have the option of a new rock with frag holes.

If you have a good frag hole drilled do you even need to glue the frag in?

sde1500
02/11/2016, 12:08 PM
I'd say if you want to keep the wide open look, get some shelf rock and stick it down so its just above the sand. Then drill holes into it for the frag plug, well drill before its in the tank. Or you could cut the base off the plug. Then you'd create a flat level surface for a field of zoas to grow on.

crankbait09
02/11/2016, 12:11 PM
Is there a rule of thumb for what colors can live next to each other?