PDA

View Full Version : Suitable replacement for 150w LED

Vin7250
02/11/2016, 09:20 AM
My wife and I purchased a house and we are now on a very strict budget. My 90 gallon has 2x150w MH fixture over it. Are there any LED double ended replacement bulbs that the MH ballasts could fire? I want to reduce the amount of electricity as well as I need to replace the bulbs anyways so I figured maybe there was something out there. Any thoughts would be very helpful!

ReefWreak
02/11/2016, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure if you know how LEDs work, but the short answer is no.

Maybe you're hoping that they come out with something like the new E5 LED T5 bulb replacements for 150w Metal Halides, but I haven't seen or heard of it, and wouldn't expect it any time soon.

If you're on a budget, go with a DIY solderless retrofit kit from one of the LED suppliers like RapidLED. It's DIY so you don't have to pay labor and it's customizable.

Also, they will not likely come out with MH replacements because running LEDs through a ballast like that is super inefficient, and it's also very difficult to properly light a tank from a single source LED cluster like you would with a MH bulb. LED light is much more focused than metal halide, so you would get shading anywhere that isn't directly under the bulb, MH reflectors wouldn't help because there is no wasted light to reflect. It's the blessing and the curse of LED lighting.

Vin7250
02/11/2016, 09:58 AM
That is what I was wondering. I saw the T5 retrokit replacement bulbs and was wondering if they had something similar.

oceanic_180
02/11/2016, 09:38 PM
You could buy a couple of ocean revive t247s for just a little more than 2 replacement bulbs. (I see them on sale often for $158 each.) I have 4 of them on my reef and they look and work great.

JP Reef
02/11/2016, 10:05 PM
My wife and I purchased a house and we are now on a very strict budget. My 90 gallon has 2x150w MH fixture over it. Are there any LED double ended replacement bulbs that the MH ballasts could fire? I want to reduce the amount of electricity as well as I need to replace the bulbs anyways so I figured maybe there was something out there. Any thoughts would be very helpful!

The problem you may run into is you will not save that much in electricity with anything that would be an adequate replacement. I would look at Amazon and get a couple bulbs. Most quality LED lights are pulling at least 100w from the wall. Add in any supplemental lighting you might need for shadowing and you are right back where you started.