PDA

View Full Version : Duncan issue

mpderksen
02/11/2016, 10:01 AM
While every other coral in the tank is fully extended, growing, and has great color, my Duncan hasn't been fully opening for a few months. This morning it is peeking out just a little, but it used to be a big, fluffy softball-sized and happy coral. I haven't changed lighting or placement in about a year.
I think it started to suffer when I had an AWC issue. My SG had creeped up to 1.028, so I had adjusted the DOS to add 2L/day of new, and remove 4L/day. I used the ATO to add the difference. Then, I FORGOT! I didn't test for a while, noticed things were "off", tested and found it had dropped to 1.018! So, I used NSW in my ATO, set the DOS back to 4L/day, tested daily and had it back in line over the next 2 weeks. It's been stable again for a few months, and everything is extended and looks fantastic, except the Duncan. It doesn't look to be dying though.
In the pictures below you can see the difference between it and the Torch that sits above it (yes, there is a DMZ space between them). It gets low flow, since the Torch blocks the MP10 for the most part. It sits a bit lower, and lower than the Hammer on the other side, which also is fully "fluffy" every day.
Thoughts?

The Duncan

Torch (you can just see the Duncan on the lower right corner)

Hammer

rffanat1c
02/11/2016, 11:17 AM
Mine has done the same thing for reasons I cannot figure out totally. I suspect my coral beauty or emerald crab are picking at it. Do you have any LPS nippers in your tank?

mpderksen
02/11/2016, 11:37 AM
Dwarf Flame comes to mind. But he's been in the tank for several years. No inverts other than a few peppermint shrimp I never see.

A1t2o
02/11/2016, 11:56 AM
Duncans seem to be pretty sensitive to flow. Try getting it into a lower flow area and see if that helps. Otherwise you may want to dip it incase there are pests that are bothering it without causing damage. You could also target feed it and see if it responds well to that.

scooter31707
02/11/2016, 12:06 PM
I agree ^^.