PDA

View Full Version : Hydra 26 or Hydra 52 over 3ft SPS?

Hentz
02/11/2016, 11:11 AM
Hey guys, just curious.

Tank is 36x19x20. I'm dominant in SPS and was wondering how many of each light I would need to successfully house my SPS without shadowing problems and without the need of T5 supplement?

Thanks!

vhuang168
02/11/2016, 12:14 PM
That's very close to my tank in dimensions. 32/18/16. I'm running a single Hydra 52.

If I were to do it again, I would run 2 Hydra 25s. That would have helped with the shadowing. There is plenty of power but the shadowing is pretty bad with only 1 unit.

In your tank, I would run 3 Hydra 26s. Might end up on using them at 40-50% but it will really help in reducing shadowing.

Wazzel
02/11/2016, 12:41 PM
If it were me I would go with the 26 unit. Probably will need 3, but you can start with 2 and add the third later if you use the rail mount.

Hentz
02/11/2016, 12:47 PM
If it were me I would go with the 26 unit. Probably will need 3, but you can start with 2 and add the third later if you use the rail mount.

Just the man I was hoping to hear from. I'm currently stalking your tank, have been for the past few days because of your Hydras haha.

I was thinking that also, it would be cheaper also to go with 26's

Wazzel
02/11/2016, 12:56 PM
I run a single hydra on my 20 long (30x13x13) frag tank. It covers about 16 in the short axis with light to spare in the long. Growing SPS under it is not a problem at all. I had planned on adding a second, but put the money I made selling frags into my upgrade. They are good units and I would not hesitate to use them on smaller tanks.

Hentz
02/11/2016, 02:21 PM
I run a single hydra on my 20 long (30x13x13) frag tank. It covers about 16 in the short axis with light to spare in the long. Growing SPS under it is not a problem at all. I had planned on adding a second, but put the money I made selling frags into my upgrade. They are good units and I would not hesitate to use them on smaller tanks.
That's awesome. I can't remember, are you running ZEOvit in your main tank?
Also, how long are you running your LED's? How long is the peak during the day?

Wazzel
02/11/2016, 03:56 PM
That's awesome. I can't remember, are you running ZEOvit in your main tank?
Also, how long are you running your LED's? How long is the peak during the day?
I am old school, use the Berlin method. No ZEOvit, no media reactors, no magic dust. Just lots of flow, big skimmer and regular water changes.

From my tank thread....

Here is my schedule is text form. Let me know is you need further explanation.

DB is my moon light. It runs 2% from 9pm to 8am

For normal day time operations the lights start ramping up at 8 am starting with DB and adding a color every 5 minutes in the following order DB, RB, V, UV, G, R, W. The ramp off starts to end at 9pm with W going off first and the rest following every 5 minutes in the following order W, R, G, UV, V, RB, DB.

At 10AM and 8pm the channels have the following settings
DB - 80
RB - 75
V - 70
UV - 65
G - 60
R - 55
W - 35

From 1pm to 5pm all channels at 100 except white which is at 55

That should cover the inflection points. I ramp between them.

twreefer
02/11/2016, 08:17 PM
AI Hydra's are garbage. Get a Radion. The issues I have had with mine are maddening, and their "support" is awful.

Hentz
02/11/2016, 08:22 PM
AI Hydra's are garbage. Get a Radion. The issues I have had with mine are maddening, and their "support" is awful.

I just saw your post. Yikes

I've seen great success with both

Jmason95
02/11/2016, 11:15 PM
I experimented with two 26's over my 40 gallon breeder (36x18x16) just to see how my acros would respond. No problems with acros in the 4 months I've had them up. They are hanging over the tank parallel. If I seriousy wanted to use them over the tank I think 3 would be perfect the other way ( | | | ) if it was an SPS dominated tank.

Hentz
02/12/2016, 09:38 AM
I experimented with two 26's over my 40 gallon breeder (36x18x16) just to see how my acros would respond. No problems with acros in the 4 months I've had them up. They are hanging over the tank parallel. If I seriousy wanted to use them over the tank I think 3 would be perfect the other way ( | | | ) if it was an SPS dominated tank.

Did you come from T5? I see you just sold an ATI 6x24. That's what I'm currently using

Jmason95
02/12/2016, 12:23 PM
Did you come from T5? I see you just sold an ATI 6x24. That's what I'm currently using

I was running T5 over my display (which is currently down). I only have the breeder up now, with a couple frags. I wanted to give LED's a try so I bought the Hydra 26's. Not decided on what my next tank will be (I may use my prior tank, or I may have to downgrade to a smaller tank), either way I'm going LED.

Hentz
02/13/2016, 08:33 PM
Pretty excited. Just picked up two Hydra 26's. Excited to get home and set these bad boys up!