PDA

View Full Version : curing rock?

tomreefer
02/12/2016, 03:46 PM
I have had my rock in rubbermaid containers for a month now covered 24hrs a day and every week change the water. This rock was pulled from a live system and covered in brown stuff all over it. The brown stuff is almost gone as well as the green. The rock also smells a lot better.

My ? is am I also curing the rock since the die off of algae would be ammonia correct? When I put this in my tank will I have to add a ammonia source? I am planning maybe next week hopefully

MadCnty
02/12/2016, 04:37 PM
Was this LR or DR??? Because if it was LR you should have put it directly in you DT to start your cycle...

gone fishin
02/12/2016, 04:44 PM
Have you tracked it at all in the rubbermaid? You could always test the rubbermaid then dose it with ammonia. If the ammonia and nitrites are gone within 24hrs I would say your pretty good to go with the DT. This is assuming the transfer from the rubbermaid to the DT does not take a long time out of the water.

tomreefer
02/12/2016, 04:55 PM
The rock was out of tank for like 3 days was a ton of green and brown algae. I wanted to get rid of this and recharge the rock before starting tank. Did I do it wrong?

Ok I am going to wait another week and add ammonia than test water in 24hrs

Hunter1998
02/12/2016, 05:03 PM
I cooked dead rock that had been sitting in my garage for months. I placed it in a Rubbermaid and cooked it for roughly 2 months while I had another tank built. Filled my tank got the saltwater to 1.026 then transferred the rock to the aquarium and let it run its course for a few days with the lights off. Took a water sample to a reputable aquarium store and was good to go, since I've added a midas blenny and a few days later I got a flame. That's where I'm at now, just taking it slow.