PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse injured - attacked by blenny

Kylieeastley
02/14/2016, 02:35 AM
Hi, I purchased a blenny (having read they were placid and fine with seahorses) and after a couple of weeks it started nipping at the seahorses. I googled and read that it was most likely eating algae off seahorse. The seahorses did not seem to react and I could see no marks. Today the blenny seems to be constantly savaging them, mostly the biggest male, and they were reacting. When I checked I found the big male has a heap of skin off his back. I have now seperated the blenny - and will rehome him. But is there anything I can do for the seahorse?

vlangel
02/14/2016, 06:18 AM
I would keep your watet quality up double time and if you have a probiotic, use it. If that skinned up area gets a suspicious look at all I would immediately move him to a QT and treat with Furan 2 or triple sulfa. I also would get some live food on hand in case you need to gut load it with antibiotics.

BlueCat1949
02/14/2016, 05:14 PM
That is a pretty horrible picture of the males back. This is why I never kept seahorses with other tank mates, even ones that are supposed to be safe. I hope he can recover but this is not good at all.

vlangel
02/14/2016, 06:53 PM
That is a pretty horrible picture of the males back. This is why I never kept seahorses with other tank mates, even ones that are supposed to be safe. I hope he can recover but this is not good at all.
O my, I somehow missed there was a pic! That is awful. He probably should be QT and given antibiotics right away. Actually I would feel more comfortable if someone else with more experienced answered this as I am not sure how to counsel.

rayjay
02/14/2016, 09:09 PM
I agree, hospital tank immediately. (10g tank with heavy aeration using open ended air lines, slowly drop temp to 68F)
Treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic ( I use Furan II) and I would also treat the wound directly each day with Bio-Bandage (has Neomycin and Methylene Blue in it).

DanU
02/16/2016, 05:44 AM
Can you post a couple more pics from different angles?

Dan