PDA

View Full Version : New mantis shrimp tank

kp294
02/14/2016, 08:51 PM
Hello!
I have been researching peacock mantis shrimp for about a year now and I have finally decided to take the plunge. I currently have a 29g planted tank that I am tearing down and converting to saltwater. I have an eheim 2215 canister filter, heater, and fluval plant led lighting.
With rresearch, I have found dead stories that say strong lighting will contribute to shell rot, especially in peacocks because they are prone to it (?). Is this true? And will my
Lighting be too strong?
I also read that iodine is bad too, how do i minimize iron introduction into the tank?
Thanks!!!!

peasofme
02/15/2016, 01:25 PM
you want no light or dim light.

Martini5788
02/15/2016, 06:23 PM
A 29 isn't going to be big enough( floor print) for a peacock. You will need to upgrade to a 40 or 50 breeder. When I first got mine, I had her in a 20 long but upgraded within a few weeks to a 40 breeder. If you found a really small one, it could stay in the 29 for a little bit. Does the lighting you have controllable?

kp294
02/15/2016, 08:27 PM
A 29 isn't going to be big enough( floor print) for a peacock. You will need to upgrade to a 40 or 50 breeder. When I first got mine, I had her in a 20 long but upgraded within a few weeks to a 40 breeder. If you found a really small one, it could stay in the 29 for a little bit. Does the lighting you have controllable?
What part being controllable? There are three settings, either daylight, night, or off. I have it on a timer

Martini5788
02/15/2016, 08:41 PM
What part being controllable? There are three settings, either daylight, night, or off. I have it on a timer

The intensity of the lights. If the night are blue LEDs, then I would use those. But the planted tank lights are the wrong spectrum for saltwater tanks and will probably cause some algae issues. So if you want to keep using those lights, I would either use only the night lights unless actively viewing the tank or I would heavily "plant" it with display macro algae

kp294
02/15/2016, 08:58 PM
The intensity of the lights. If the night are blue LEDs, then I would use those. But the planted tank lights are the wrong spectrum for saltwater tanks and will probably cause some algae issues. So if you want to keep using those lights, I would either use only the night lights unless actively viewing the tank or I would heavily "plant" it with display macro algae
Awesome, thanks!