PDA

View Full Version : Basement Sump room questions

mvallee_ma
02/15/2016, 07:19 AM
I have an established 2 year old 180 gallon mixed reef with a 55 gallon sump. The sump sits in a room right behind the tank but we are repurposing this space so I need to create a new Sump space which will be in my basement, pretty much right below the tank and here is where my questions start because of course if I am going to go through the work I have to go bigger right :fun4:

Question 1. I will be adding approximately 120-150 gallons of water volume mainly in a 120 gallon 4 foot tank. Do I let this cycle before I flip the switch to bring it online or bring it online right away and think of it like a really big water change?

Question 2. Being in a basement on concrete do I need to worry about damaging the concrete if water spills, I don't mean gallons of water as I have been pretty lucky with that but the daily maintenance type spills that happen when trimming Cheato, pulling skimmer for cleaning etc... IF so how do I protect is, sealer, vinyl tiles....?

Question 3. Not as critical as it is only a thought at this time but the 120 I am planning on adding, 4'X2'X2' is bigger than I wanted but one of those deals I just could not pass up. Can I compartmentalize this tank, thinking I could mount some type of container for the skimmer right over it or in it having one of my overflows from my DT supply it with raw water and have that container cascade into the tank and then the second overflow from my DT would dump into the other side, I would create two sections basically two 60 gallon cubes type sections of 2X2X2, it does have Dual Overflows and one side would be a FOWLR side with rock Sand bed and a couple fish etc.. the other more of a Macro Algae display. as long as I fill both sides evenly I do not see an issue but like I said just a thought at this point as doing this would require siliconing a big sheet of glass and probably ruining the tank to ever become a DT and not sure the practicality,
thoughts?? recommendations???

Just for additional info I am planning on having this 120 dump into a trough type sump like the kind you buy at tractor supply, thinking either 100-150 gallon trough or maybe a 90 gallon glass tank housing my ATO, an ATS as well as additional Macro's to feed the tangs and rubble to create a habitat to increase pod populations for the Leopard wrasses, dragonettes and other pod eating inhabitants in my main DT that will be fed back up to the main DT via a DC return pump.

I would appreciate any thought or cautions, I am still in the planning phase but needs to be done in 60 days or less so I can't plan too much longer especially if the answer to question 1 is yes I need to cycle the tanks.
A very ambitious project for me but loving the challenge and planning

ca1ore
02/15/2016, 09:18 AM
#1, Don't need to cycle water, go for it.

#2, yes SW will damage concrete, but major damage takes lots of time and lots of spills, and it's a basement.

#3, you can do whatever you want with the sump.