PDA

View Full Version : Green Chromis Swimming Backwards?

Darth Vedder
02/16/2016, 04:44 PM
I am hoping someone on here can help as I haven't really been able to find anything definitive so far just searching

I purchased 5 blue/green Chromis about a week 8-9 days ago and they have been in my QT tank

Two of them will swim freely and activity go after food when I feed. One little one would stay in the top right corner behind the ammonia badge, and last night it started breathing heavy and couldn't swim and ultimately died after I took him out and put in a small container with no flow and QT tank water to observe it

I didn't see any signs of lesions or spots so not sure if it was just weak fro the start.

The other two always stay on the bottom back corner and hide behind the sponge filter. They don't appear to be eating much and they swim backwards almost exclusively

Here is a video of them I just took where they are in a specimen container
http://youtu.be/_tXvnTQB2Lc

Any ideas of this is some sort of parasite that I need to be concerned about ? I don't want it to make it into the display of it is and I have a few other fish that are doing fine in the same QT and wanted some second opinions before I try anything to stress the healthy fish and make sure they are clean

vinhle00
02/17/2016, 02:09 PM
Them swimming backwards looks like from stress. These chromis often times come in with uronema. What i'd do is before they even go into QT i give them a Formalin/Acriflavin bath then treat for uronema.

The blue green chromis are handled very poorly in the trade and have low survival rate. You should try with these next time. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1634+3078&pcatid=3078

Darth Vedder
02/17/2016, 03:08 PM
That's what I'm afraid of, that they have uronema. If they do have that does that parasite affect other fish? I have a wrasse and some anthias in the QT with them and definitely don't want to introduce uronema into the DT so am trying to decide how to treat those other fish and separate those into a different tank than the Chromis

snorvich
02/17/2016, 05:14 PM
It could affect other fish. Anthias recently have also been at risk for uronema.

vinhle00
02/17/2016, 09:17 PM
that's a tough one because of the wrasse being in the mix. What i would do is remove the wrasse into another QT and feed seachem metroplex/focus and TTM for ich. As for the rest Acriflavin bath for 75mins then into a QT pre dosed with chloroquine phosphate at 80mg per gallon.

just an idea.

Darth Vedder
02/17/2016, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the tips

I'm kicking myself for putting the wrasse in the same QT, i almost set up a seperate tank for it and now am kicking myself. I'll seperate them tonight and figure out a coarse of action