PDA

View Full Version : Evil peppermint shrimp

Highweigh
02/17/2016, 12:37 AM
Tonight after the day lights turned off in my tank I noticed my peppermint shrimp making his way up the rocks toward my new frogspawn I placed in the tank today.

Not thinking anything of it I continued watching my show for about 3 minutes when I noticed something strange.

Little bits of frogspawn were floating all over the tank and the pepper shrimp was definitely the culprit. I have no crabs or anything that would be able to do such damage.

After Google searching this it turns out it's not a rare occurance, I manage to capture the little bugger using a bottle trap and a piece of fish.

I believe the frogspawn will make a full recovery and is only missing a tentacle or two.

Just figured I'd share my experience with everyone!

karimwassef
02/17/2016, 01:05 AM
are you sure it's a peppermint, not a camel shrimp?

Highweigh
02/17/2016, 01:25 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a peppermint, judging by the chart on Google of all the different peppermint shrimp I'd say it's a lysmata boggessi due to its dark colored tail

karimwassef
02/17/2016, 01:58 AM
I have an army of them and they don't bother my corals... but I feed A LOT.

I've had camels develop a taste for coral though.

Dkuhlmann
02/17/2016, 04:06 AM
Camel shrimp are often sold as Peppermint shrimp, it's a shame that this happens more often than people think.

Xxero
02/17/2016, 05:18 AM
My Peppermint Shrimp would tear apart and eat anything fleshy.

They have their purpose, but I will never keep another one.

cloak
02/17/2016, 11:21 AM
Yeah, they're definitely not the little Angels I once thought they were. They've caused me more problems than anything else it seems and these were the real deal too.

pt3003
02/17/2016, 01:20 PM
I recently took out my peppermint shrimp (it wasn't a camel as I got others to ID the shrimp and checked google) and it was picking at my bird of paradise. Every time I moved my BoP the shrimp kept going near the coral so I just took it out. I believe it also damaged one of my Acan and Zoa...or it could have been my CBS however I have yet to see my CBS picking on a coral.

karimwassef
02/17/2016, 02:04 PM
I keep both peppermint and CBS in large numbers. The CBS are 'pruning' the peppermints though... Neither seems to bother my corals.

nmotz
02/17/2016, 03:58 PM
I had two sexy shrimp (in a tank that I didn't feed well enough) that got hungry and tore up my green birdsnest. It had bare spots on its branches where all the polyps were plucked off. I'm convinced that anything that gets hungry enough WILL attack coral.

karimwassef
02/17/2016, 04:12 PM
I had two sexy shrimp (in a tank that I didn't feed well enough) that got hungry and tore up my green birdsnest. It had bare spots on its branches where all the polyps were plucked off. I'm convinced that anything that gets hungry enough WILL attack coral.

+1 true

A well fed tank doesn't struggle so much with predation.

Darren B
02/17/2016, 07:06 PM
My Pepps were always well behaved. Like others, they were well fed and had plenty of room to roam.