PDA

View Full Version : Sump in basement

Ray68
02/17/2016, 06:20 AM
I just installed a ventless gas heater in same room as my 150gal sump. My question is would too much co2 in air cause any problems? My coralline alge started turning white after putting in heater.

CuzzA
02/17/2016, 07:11 AM
It could substantially drive down the ph of your water creating an acidic environment which could retard/kill corals and coralline algae.

I would start testing ph to determine if that is in fact what's happening.

homer1475
02/17/2016, 07:29 AM
It could substantially drive down the ph of your water creating an acidic environment which could retard/kill corals and coralline algae.

I would start testing ph to determine if that is in fact what's happening.

I have a pellet stove that just sucks air from the room instead of outside. When the stove is running my PH most definitely decreases(tank is in same room as the pellet stove), to combat this I just added a airline run to the outside on my skimmer.

Ray68
02/17/2016, 11:15 AM
An airline from outside. Do you mean from outside of basement?And that would be enough fresh air. Could I put in a vent fan to vent room. I have been having trouble keeping ph in check also

Sk8r
02/17/2016, 02:42 PM
That might be a problem. And if you lid the sump your tank may overheat.

CuzzA
02/17/2016, 04:33 PM
An airline from outside. Do you mean from outside of basement?And that would be enough fresh air. Could I put in a vent fan to vent room. I have been having trouble keeping ph in check also

I doubt running your skimmer airline outside would have a substantial impact, but it might. I found what works best is to remove the co2 from the house. Usually a simple exhaust fan like what's commonly used in bathrooms will work. Your house is unlikely to be air tight so as the co2 rich air is removed from the house fresh air will find its way in through cracks, windows and other vents.

Ray68
02/18/2016, 02:04 AM
I will install a vent fan today.Last night I put a fan in doorway to start getting more fresh air in the room and opened garage door for a while. Thanks for help

ryeguyy84
02/18/2016, 09:03 AM
there's also the more expensive option of a Co2 scrubber.