PDA

View Full Version : blind clownfish

Horacio Adame
02/17/2016, 10:22 AM
Hi!
I saw many posts about blind clownfish from years ago but never saw any guy to know the aswer about it.

I have a adult clownfish that is blind, one day it only stop eating and acting extrange and saw it was blind for sure.
can't see the food, it only bites it when I put it in front of it and touch it mouth, also she go inside the net alone when I put it in front of it, also it doesn't care about it male partner. So is BLIND for sure.

I feed them with gelatin that I made with :shrimp, nori algae, squid, clam, amino acid, vitamins, minerals, phytoplankton and zooplankton. that food is in the moorning and before bed.

At noon I feed them with SV.M2 food, that are pellets.

some times I grow some brine shrimp and feed the shrimp with live phytoplankton and them feed the clowns with the shrimps.

So I think the fod is not the problem.

Also the temp, PH, Salinity, etc are fine and the las time that I had a problem withe tank was years ago.

Could it be the age? or I think is a problem with the clowns because the many post I saw all over the internet.

The clown looks ok, the skin, colors, eyes, I can't see any problem with it.

tanks for the help

Horacio Adame
02/17/2016, 11:00 AM
I forgot to say I also use GARLICPOWER in the gelatin food

snorvich
02/17/2016, 05:20 PM
Garlic is not good for fish long term. Cannot say what the problem is, however.

Horacio Adame
02/17/2016, 05:28 PM
ok, thanks for the info about the garlic!

ThRoewer
02/19/2016, 01:54 AM
Garlic can cause liver damage in fish - in general terrestrial plants are indigestible for marine fish (freshwater fish are a different story altogether).

How old is the fish?
I somewhat doubt that old age is the reason - clownfish can easily live for 20 years, some get over 30.

As for the food - brine shrimp is among the worst. If fed, it should be fed very sparingly. It is low in nutritional value, but what's even worse is its high copper content. It can accumulate to scary high levels if not watched for.
In general heavy metal buildup is a somewhat underestimated problem with reef tanks

What kind of light do you have over the tank?

What medication history has this fish?

What about other fish in the system?