PDA

View Full Version : AI Prime vs. Kessil A160

zak.payne
02/17/2016, 06:28 PM
I have an awfully tough time making up my mind on lighting, but I know it's an important purchase for the life of the aquarium. I think I've seen every video and read every article out there on both of these lights and now I'm looking to you guys to help me make my final decision.

I know Kessil makes a fantastic light. They look nice, they run well and overall I've heard good things. However, the downside is the inability to fine-tune the lighting and you have to purchase the Spectral Controller, which is an additional $100. I do also like the shimmer effect I've heard about.

Now the AI Prime is nice because it has the built-in WiFi and the app the goes along with it. That's nice to be able to fine tune the whole thing and not have to pay extra for it. I do also know that the Prime gives a bit of a shimmer effect, but not so much it looks like a disco ball.

Both are fairly cheap to run (40W for the Kessil and 45W for the Prime), so that isn't a problem for me. I've heard both can grow coral, so it's really just a matter of picking one. Have any of you used one or the other and could provide some advice on the two?

moondoggy4
02/17/2016, 08:52 PM
I have he Kessil 160 and I do not use a controller, I just adjusted manually on/off not sun rise or sunset it can but I have not gone that far yet.

What size tank wil this go on?

doradosteve
02/17/2016, 09:25 PM
I have both. PRIME!

zak.payne
02/18/2016, 07:54 AM
I have he Kessil 160 and I do not use a controller, I just adjusted manually on/off not sun rise or sunset it can but I have not gone that far yet.

What size tank wil this go on?

It's going on a 24 gallon Fluval M60. My intention will to put two of either light up in time, but will start with one just to get some coral in the tank.

sixpackgarage
02/18/2016, 09:30 AM
I have the A160WE that I used on my JBJ30 and my BC14. Not currently using it because I went to a bigger tank, but had very good SPS growth with it. I would highly recommend the controller, you really cannot beat the functionality for $100.