PDA

View Full Version : 90 gallon stocking

Martini5788
02/17/2016, 07:14 PM
Trying to finalize my stocking list, tank should be done cycling just doing the final ammonia test! I have some fish already that I plan on adding first and will start ttm tonight or tomorrow morning. So here goes with the list for the 90 gallon, I have an overly powerful skimmer( was supposed to go on a larger tank that ended up not getting setup) aquamaxx em200 which is rated
For a heavily stocked 120. So the stocking will be heavy, so keep that in mind.
Pair of Perculas
Midas blenny
Yellow head jawfish
Starry blenny( he doesn't eat algae)
Orange spotted goby with pistol shrimp
Pair of bangaii cardinals
Black cap basslet
Flame angel
Kole tang( maybe)
Fairy and flasher trio

Marchillo
02/17/2016, 10:02 PM
So 15 fish? Tank will be a little crowded in my opinion. I think the kole and starry could have issues. I wanted a kole but after google searching as well as here I've seen they can have problems with starrys. Same niche and similar color.

I have 11 in an 80 and it's a tad tight. I'd say I'm overstocked by a fish or two, but I think it will work. Everyone is doing fine but have only been together 5 or 6 weeks.

Somewhat similar - 2 occ clowns, starry, diamond goby, 2 pj cards, 2 chromis, trio of Anthias.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2113032

Martini5788
02/17/2016, 10:19 PM
So 15 fish? Tank will be a little crowded in my opinion. I think the kole and starry could have issues. I wanted a kole but after google searching as well as here I've seen they can have problems with starrys. Same niche and similar color.

I have 11 in an 80 and it's a tad tight. I'd say I'm overstocked by a fish or two, but I think it will work. Everyone is doing fine but have only been together 5 or 6 weeks.

Somewhat similar - 2 occ clowns, starry, diamond goby, 2 pj cards, 2 chromis, trio of Anthias.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2113032

Yeah I guess it is 15 fish, that does seem like a lot. Most of them are small though, if that makes a difference. I
Am really undecided on the tang situation. And the likelihood that I
Got one would probably be pretty small and way down the line as it would be one of the last additions if it did happen.
I do think it may be a little crowded, I'm just not sure what to knock off the list.

thegrun
02/17/2016, 11:51 PM
I agree that is a very big bio-load to maintain, not impossible but you are going to need to make frequent large water changes if you don't cut down on the fish. My Kole Tang gets along great with all the other fish in my aquarium (he is the only fish my breeding pair of clowns will allow near their nest), but it absolutely HATES my Starry Blenny and has cut himself several times madly dashing after it into stony corals. I would go with only one of those two, both are great fish.

Spartanman22
02/18/2016, 12:45 PM
I don't see the issue being bioload strain as much as it would be territorial/aggression. I maintained 10 fish in a 25 gallon SPS tank and despite heavy feelings my phosphates and nitrates were always undetectable.

Point being that you can certainly account for the bioload of that many fish in a 90 it's going to be more of an aggression/territory issue IMO.

scooter31707
02/18/2016, 12:51 PM
I have 10 in my 120 and it's ok, of course the fish in the tank is 3.5 inches. So things could change as they get bigger. I'm running a Aquamaxx EM300 on mines. No problems with nirates at all. I agree with Marchillo, be careful with the Kole and the Starry Blenny. I had to get rid of a Kole Tang because he was very aggressive with my Lawnmower Blenny and only him. He paid no attention any of the other fish.

Martini5788
02/18/2016, 07:11 PM
Yeah my starry is kind of a jerk. So I might rehome him I also have a lot of other fish with a similar body type that are more
Colorful and I would see them more. My starry was bonded to my golden dwarf moray, and I rehomed the eel when my tank busted a seam and he hasn't been the same since. He hides and I never see him. So he may have to go. I will have a hard time doing that though, because these fish have been with me since the beginning and survived the tank explosion, getting switched through about 10 different temporary tanks. So I will have to think about it

Marchillo
02/18/2016, 07:29 PM
The Starry is my wife's favorite fish. Anytime I was looking to add a fish she'd always ask if "they'd be ok with Lionel".

The territory issue makes sense. My male Anthias is king of the tank and when he wants he swims through to clear out the cardinals, chromis, and female Anthias. The middle of the water column is tight. That's why I say I'm probably overstocked a fish or two. But in general the aggression is what I'd call mild. No missing or damaged find to report as of yet.

Martini5788
02/18/2016, 09:09 PM
This is a picture of the tank. I will change the top of the left island a bit, and add to the right island just a tad. But I feel like it will give the fish a decent area to stake out a territory. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160219/82720b8c85d35ea91ba7a8dd5d80039a.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160219/a86c25843a161fdda91f66e308a6e00c.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160219/484968036b2e11a2d26d99b85d967b79.jpg
I am hoping that the jawfish take the rock with the hole in it in the center of the tank.

BigBlueTang
02/18/2016, 11:58 PM
Do you know which types of wrasses you're going to get?

Martini5788
02/19/2016, 09:21 AM
Do you know which types of wrasses you're going to get?

Nope hahaha. I go back and forth all the time. It will be a fairy/flasher combo though.