PDA

View Full Version : Which Lighting Option Would You Choose?

JaySchulz
02/18/2016, 02:05 PM
Let me start by saying that i've been in the planning stages of this build for the last year and I've been about as indecisive as my wife. After pulling the trigger on a tank and a couple other items (Profilux Controller, BioCube as a Quarantine tank) a couple months ago, I cancelled my tank order almost immediately (luckily my lfs knows me and allowed me to cancel). Ive since changed the tank dimensions about 10 times and I feel that I finally have the tank dimensions set in stone.

Tank will be
72" L x 48" W x 27" T peninsula with low iron 3/4 inch glass. I have not decided if I want to go rimless or build a canopy because I feel that will depend a lot on my lighting selection. I love that I will have tons of tank width, which will allow me to have endless aquascaping options.

Now comes the lights and there are way to many options to choose from. Although I'm excited about the tank width, the 48" width makes choosing lights somewhat complicated and extremely expensive. I wanted to start this thread to hear all of your opinions so that I can finally make a decision and order my tank on Monday.

Option 1
(3) 48" ATI Dimmable Sunpower Fixtures 8x54w configuration which would be turned sideways so that bulbs run perpendicular with 72" length of tank. I would probably supplement with 2 or 4 Kessils for shimmer so I don't have the dullness of only T5. Not sure if I would run these in a canopy or go rimless.

Option 2
(2) 60" ATI (not dimmable) Sunpower Fixtures 8x80w configuration which would be ran parallel with 72" length of tank. Again supplemented with Kessils for shimmer. Not sure if I would run these in a canopy or go rimless.

Option 3
(2) 36" Pacific Sun T5/LED Hybrid 8x39w T5 + 2 145w LED panels which would be run sideways again to get the spread I think I need. Now I was very set on Pacific Sun as my top lighting option but I've read so many mixed reviews that I've slowly been turned off. Some reviews are great but for some reason I see so many reefers absolutely bashing them. I also can't say that I wouldn't care about their Bali program because I think that is an extremely cool feature. I would probably go rimless with this option.

Option 4
(3) 400w MH lights. Not sure on reflectors because there doesn't seem like many options available other than Hamilton reflectors. Although I was leaning towards their Cozumel reflector. I would possibly supplement the MH with (2) 60" ATI 4x80w Sunpowers. This is definitely a top contender in my option but I don't like that there is almost no dimming functionality for ramp up and down other than ON/OFF. Not to mention the heat and having to run a chiller because I would run the MH lights in a canopy. I don't think they will look good aesthetically over a rimless tank.

Lastly I would like to say that bulb replacement and the electricity bill are not much of a concern to me. Thanks ahead of time.

burton14e7
02/18/2016, 02:31 PM
Did you already rule out MH+LED? I was thinking maybe that would solve your dimming issue in #4.

JaySchulz
02/18/2016, 02:45 PM
Did you already rule out MH+LED? I was thinking maybe that would solve your dimming issue in #4.

I looked into the geisemann MH/LED and MH/T5 fixtures but never really thought much about doing MH/LED because both light sources are spotlights and I felt (I'm no expert) that T5 should be thrown into the mix somehow to get more evenly distributed light.

JaySchulz
02/18/2016, 02:50 PM
Let me note that I am more than open to other lighting ideas that I haven't mentioned.

azcrazy
02/18/2016, 02:53 PM
I run 3 250w (20k) MH with 4 ATI t5 80w(super blue and super purple) 60" in my canopy over my 180g which is 72x24x24.

They keeping the SPS happy but I think is to much for my shrooms and some brain frags

The good think about my set up is that i dont have to use heater tak goes from 76ºf to 79ºf and a fan i n the canopy keept temps ok, never seen higher than 81ºf (before the fan was put in)

JaySchulz
02/18/2016, 02:56 PM
I run 3 250w (20k) MH with 4 ATI t5 80w(super blue and super purple) 60" in my canopy over my 180g which is 72x24x24.

They keeping the SPS happy but I think is to much for my shrooms and some brain frags

Do you run a chiller?

azcrazy
02/18/2016, 03:00 PM
Do you run a chiller?

No

steallife904
02/18/2016, 03:01 PM
im thinking something like the reefbreeders 60in photon down the middle and a couple 60in retro fit T5s in front and behind the LED in the middle. I would put this in canopy. My opinion

USC-fan
02/18/2016, 03:01 PM
option one looks like the winner to me. More even coverage and gives you everything you want.

Could even run some of the new Euroquatics E5 Retrofit T5 LED Lamps. That would give you the LED pop across the whole tank.

Im debating using those led t5 blue pop bulbs as my actinics.

Daka
02/18/2016, 03:27 PM
I use LEDs, love them.They just keep on getting better as new are developed.

biecacka
02/18/2016, 04:00 PM
Would you consider 36 inch fixtures. I believe they might still put out enough light to cover 48inches?

Corey

JaySchulz
02/18/2016, 04:45 PM
Would you consider 36 inch fixtures. I believe they might still put out enough light to cover 48inches?

Corey

Yea I wouldn't have a problem with the 36" fixtures. Why do you ask?

FirstContact
02/18/2016, 06:39 PM
I agree LEDs keep getting better and better. Given the choice between T5, T5 combo LED, and MH, I would go for MH as you wrote cost is not a consideration.

JaySchulz
02/18/2016, 07:48 PM
I agree LEDs keep getting better and better. Given the choice between T5, T5 combo LED, and MH, I would go for MH as you wrote cost is not a consideration.

Haha let me clarify that monthly cost is not an issue because I'm going to blame it on the pool at our new house. I would like to avoid buying a chiller if possible though. Heat is my biggest concern when it comes to MH.

FirstContact
02/18/2016, 08:52 PM
Not sure about summers in Texas and MH. It probably gets pretty hot! Good luck with your decision whatever you go with. I read that LEDs can be difficult with SPS due to shading issues. I have all LEDs and plan to try an SPS dominant tank. Just don't miss looking at the tank/bulbs and wondering if it is time to change them. Also T5s always seemed so much better when they are brand new whereas LEDs always look the same until they go out. But T5s are supposed to be the most reliable for success. Good Luck Again!

biecacka
02/18/2016, 09:13 PM
I only ask because even though you say money isn't an issue, you could save money on a slightly shorter fixture and the bulbs. You can get the same par from the units and the 36 inch fixture will have some spread on it to cover the 6inches on each side of the unit.

corey

dayne
02/18/2016, 10:19 PM
My tank is 72x40w30h.I have had 400radions 250 Phoenix 8x80w t5 and dyi led.I now have for the past 2 yrs 6 Radion G3 pros by far my favourite.You my want to try them with wide angle lens.