PDA

View Full Version : Help with possible Aquaforest switch

drawman
02/18/2016, 06:04 PM
So I have been thinking of switching to Aquaforest on my 30 gallon tank. I really haven't been having issues with Nitrates (<5ppm) and Phosphates haven't been too much of a concern.

I guess my main reason for switching over would be I want to possibly start over on this tank from scratch with minimal rock work and Siporax media. I would like to get the tank seeded with your bacteria but don't really care about keeping the tank ULNS. It's a 30 gallon tank so I get worried about going too ULNS. This tank will be SPS dominant. I also don't really care to run activated carbon and phosphate media as I've had issues stripping the water of nutrients in the past in such a small tank.

Is it possible to run a tank like this with just probiotic salt and ProBio S and not go ULNS for SPS? If so can I really add SPS to the tank after 14 days (I would likely wait a while longer)?

Aquaforest
02/19/2016, 04:38 AM
Hello,
You don't want to have UNLS just try to use:

Proiotic Reef Salt + Pro Bio S and -NP Pro

If You are starting new tank You have to use Bio S.

If Your water will be ready You can put sps after 14days.
But - test Your water - NO2, NH4, NO3, PO4.

Regards,
Aquaforest

drawman
02/19/2016, 07:14 AM
Hello,

Regards,
Aquaforest
So what is the difference between the Bio S and the Pro Bio S? If I use the Pro Bio S I will still need to use the Bio S for the initial cycle as well?

Tweaked
02/19/2016, 10:36 AM
So what is the difference between the Bio S and the Pro Bio S? If I use the Pro Bio S I will still need to use the Bio S for the initial cycle as well?

The Bio S is more for start up or addition of fish. Its lowers ammonia, etc to help with the cycle.

drawman
02/19/2016, 11:31 AM
The Bio S is more for start up or addition of fish. Its lowers ammonia, etc to help with the cycle.
Thanks that makes sense.

drawman
02/19/2016, 11:03 PM
Hello,

Regards,
Aquaforest
Do you guys have NP Pro for sale on Amazon? I can't seem to find it and don't have any local retailer.

Tweaked
02/20/2016, 05:46 AM
Do you guys have NP Pro for sale on Amazon? I can't seem to find it and don't have any local retailer.

No it is not, but one of the Amazon sellers is actually the U.S. distributer which has every product. Check Deepwater Aquatics aka Salty Supply

drawman
02/20/2016, 09:12 AM
No it is not, but one of the Amazon sellers is actually the U.S. distributer which has every product. Check Deepwater Aquatics aka Salty Supply
Yeah that's what I figured so you would think they would have all of their products on there. Thanks for the help I found it on Salty Supply!

drawman
03/07/2016, 08:50 AM
I'm on day 4 of dosing the Bio S in my newly setup aquarium (started with Probiotic reef salt). Looks like the water is pretty cloudy from the bacterial bloom. I'm not currently running my skimmer or carbon should I be doing anything different at this point?

Aquaforest
03/09/2016, 05:10 PM
I'm on day 4 of dosing the Bio S in my newly setup aquarium (started with Probiotic reef salt). Looks like the water is pretty cloudy from the bacterial bloom. I'm not currently running my skimmer or carbon should I be doing anything different at this point?

What is Your PO4 and NO3 levels?

drawman
03/10/2016, 06:21 PM
What is Your PO4 and NO3 levels?
I guess I haven't been testing as it's within the first 14 days. I've been feeding minimally to get some ammonia in the water. Do you think running the skimmer or carbon would help?

Aquaforest
03/14/2016, 06:10 AM
We recommend to use skimmer and carbon.

drawman
03/14/2016, 09:53 AM
We recommend to use skimmer and carbon.
Yeah I had the skimmer off to start as there aren't may organics in the water yet so I didn't want it going nuts. I also didn't want it pulling out all of the bacteria (Bio S) I have been dosing but maybe it's impact isn't that great.

carloriv
03/14/2016, 02:16 PM
i have a few question ,should i stop the skimmer to dose pro bio s and pro f ? if the answer is yes for how much time?can i dose both at the same time?

Aquaforest
03/15/2016, 06:59 AM
Do not stop skimmer - You can dose in the same time Pro Bio S and Pro F.

Regards,
Aquaforest

drawman
03/15/2016, 09:00 PM
Another question for you regarding the Pro Bio S, Pro Bio F, and -NP Pro. I'm assuming it is essential to dose the -NP Pro daily and, since it's a carbon source, it would probably be best dosed using a dosing pump correct?

If so, is it better to dose one time a day or separate the doses (say twice a day)?

If I were to miss a couple of days a week dosing the Pro Bio S and Pro Bio F this doesn't sound like it would matter all that much correct? I'm gone a lot of weekends so I may have to miss some days of the week but obviously don't want to miss the -NP Pro.

Aquaforest
03/16/2016, 08:50 AM
Hello,
yes - You Can dose -NP pro by dosing pump - 5ml/100L (27 US gal.)daily - You Can do that twice a day.

Your plan looks fine.

Regards,
Aquaforest

plyle02
03/18/2016, 07:10 AM
Another question for you regarding the Pro Bio S, Pro Bio F, and -NP Pro. I'm assuming it is essential to dose the -NP Pro daily and, since it's a carbon source, it would probably be best dosed using a dosing pump correct?

If so, is it better to dose one time a day or separate the doses (say twice a day)?

If I were to miss a couple of days a week dosing the Pro Bio S and Pro Bio F this doesn't sound like it would matter all that much correct? I'm gone a lot of weekends so I may have to miss some days of the week but obviously don't want to miss the -NP Pro.

Tim,
You can really automate the bacteria too, you could maybe dose at x ml's per week vs 1 drop per day, just need to determine how many drops make one ml, unless your doser goes lower, and the NP Pro comes in a diluted version in case you did not know that is dosed at 5ml every 100L of volume. Just a FYI.

drawman
03/19/2016, 10:49 AM
Tim,
You can really automate the bacteria too, you could maybe dose at x ml's per week vs 1 drop per day, just need to determine how many drops make one ml, unless your doser goes lower, and the NP Pro comes in a diluted version in case you did not know that is dosed at 5ml every 100L of volume. Just a FYI.
Thanks Perry,
I was planning on doing that with the -NP Pro and I will eventually get the diluted version. When I first placed my order I didn't realize that and now I have a pretty ridiculous stockpile of the concentrated version for the 30 gallon I'm using this on.

It may not be a bad idea to dose the Pro Bio S bacteria too. On my small tank it's pretty challenging because I only use 1 drop/day and I think the whole bottle would be basically taken up by a dosing line. I wouldn't know what to dilute the bacteria in without killing it either.

How are you liking the Pro Bio F? I looked back on your thread and I see you're using it twice a week which may be a good start for me. It's the one part of the bacterial part of the system that I don't fully understand. It says for use on small systems but it also seems that it should be used in all SPS systems on Aquaforest.

plyle02
03/19/2016, 11:48 AM
Thanks Perry,
I was planning on doing that with the -NP Pro and I will eventually get the diluted version. When I first placed my order I didn't realize that and now I have a pretty ridiculous stockpile of the concentrated version for the 30 gallon I'm using this on.

It may not be a bad idea to dose the Pro Bio S bacteria too. On my small tank it's pretty challenging because I only use 1 drop/day and I think the whole bottle would be basically taken up by a dosing line. I wouldn't know what to dilute the bacteria in without killing it either.

How are you liking the Pro Bio F? I looked back on your thread and I see you're using it twice a week which may be a good start for me. It's the one part of the bacterial part of the system that I don't fully understand. It says for use on small systems but it also seems that it should be used in all SPS systems on Aquaforest.

Tim,
I have been using the Pro Brio S, and never refrigerated it, I am now, lol... So, I would say that might not work to automate. As far as Pro Bio F, I have been using the powdered form, I have been using this since the beginning. I simply mix it with tank water and pour that into the sump where I have matrix and siporax. I decided that more than likely it's use would better the diversity of bacterial strains, for this I went with both. FWIW, I did and do not use Bio S, as it is designed for setup bac population. This was unnecessary in my case.

drawman
03/19/2016, 03:58 PM
Tim,
I have been using the Pro Brio S, and never refrigerated it, I am now, lol... So, I would say that might not work to automate. As far as Pro Bio F, I have been using the powdered form, I have been using this since the beginning. I simply mix it with tank water and pour that into the sump where I have matrix and siporax. I decided that more than likely it's use would better the diversity of bacterial strains, for this I went with both. FWIW, I did and do not use Bio S, as it is designed for setup bac population. This was unnecessary in my case.
Cool thanks for the reply. I'm going down pretty much the same track/implementation as you it seems. I do have my Pro Bio S refrigerated thankfully so yeah I guess now that you mention it no way I would be automating that. I think as long as I automate the -NP Pro and stay consistent with the Pro Bio S and Pro Bio F I should be set. I'm hoping my tank will eventually follow the success yours is having!

plyle02
03/20/2016, 08:08 AM
Awesome Tim,
Thanks for the kind words, let me know if I can help in any way!
Cheers :)