PDA

View Full Version : Need help badly

Casperdklr
02/18/2016, 10:13 PM
So, I have a JBJ Nano 24. I have tried 5 different peppermint shrimp, all have died in the tank within an hour of being in. I use a 3 hour drip acclamation.

Here are my parameters and equipment.

Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia all at 0%
PH 8.1
Salinity 1.025
Copper 0

Equipment
Coralife 65g super skimmer
100w heater
296 GPH return pump
Grounding probe (mounted in the back, nothing can get near it that's in the display area)
24" Current USA marine LED.

20 lbs of live sand
22 lbs of live rock
Hydnophora frag
3 types of polyps
1 Kenya tree
Purple mushrooms
3 Astrea snails
Couple Collinista snails

I have tried everything to figure out why these shrimp are all dying within an hour. I bring them to temp, 3 hour drip acclamation. Nothing works. Any ideas?

Casperdklr
02/18/2016, 10:14 PM
Oh, and there is nothing in the display area that uses electricity.

Auston
02/18/2016, 10:29 PM
So they survive a three hour drip but die an hour after being introduced. It sounds like either you have something that loves to eat shimp or or your water is toxic. If your tests on your water are confirmed accurate, then it must be a hitchhiker. Otherwise I'd look into your test kits.

Casperdklr
02/18/2016, 10:38 PM
It's just strange that everything else, snails, tiny brittle stars, corals, copapods, and krill are all thriving. I have watched them in the tank, they jump back really fast off the LR and then go through shock and then stop breathing.

Entacmaea
02/18/2016, 10:54 PM
Hey there, I've noticed on long drip acclimation I have done, that the temp in the acclimation container drops significantly if I don't have a heater in there, especially if the volume is small. If temp in your acclimation is 10 degrees below tank after 3 hours, could be quite a shock going in the DT. Not sure how else to explain such an acute reaction, perhaps some other toxicity, but you are right - it would likely effect other inverts if so....

vhuang168
02/18/2016, 11:18 PM
What is the salinity of the water they come in?

Casperdklr
02/18/2016, 11:32 PM
1.021 is their salinity. They keep it a little low. Which is why I do a 3 hour drip acclimation whenever I buy from my LFS

rffanat1c
02/18/2016, 11:36 PM
Quite the conundrum. Maybe try a 50% water change in the bag and plop them in after 25 min. I've never dripped my shrimp and they all are fine.

Casperdklr
02/18/2016, 11:39 PM
I will explain exactly what happens. Maybe that will help?

When I get home with the peps I place them and the water with them in a small container on a thermo controlled heater. 3 hour drip acclimation at 2 drops per second, drain half the water after each hour. After the 3 hour is up, I place them in the DT. They swim a little. Latch on to a rock and start nipping stuff off the LR. They move around actively with no visible stress patterns. Anywhere from 30 minutes in to 1 hour in they will just jump back off the LR, always near the top of the tank. Go paralyzed and float down on their back, get swept in the current, move limbs very lethargic, get lodged in a Hollow of rock and die completely within 5 to 10 minutes.

Casperdklr
02/18/2016, 11:48 PM
Maybe I should pull that top piece of LR out? I have 80 lbs of dried rock that used to be very well established. I purchased the top piece from someone else and not the LFS

Cosmojo
02/19/2016, 12:28 AM
Personally, I think you're taking too long to acclimate them. I understand a slow drip for some things, but I think 45 minutes is about average for me with inverts. I've never lost a shrimp before, fire and cleaners are ones that I have kept multiple of.

3dees
02/19/2016, 11:32 AM
I have never acclimated shrimp. float for temp and drop them in. never had a problem.

Reef Ruler
02/19/2016, 11:43 AM
I have never acclimated shrimp. float for temp and drop them in. never had a problem.

Same here

Reef Ruler
02/19/2016, 11:43 AM
Have you ever put Hydrogen Peroxide in the tank?

mapleredta
02/19/2016, 11:59 AM
i have never acclimated shrimp. Float for temp and drop them in. Never had a problem.

+1.