PDA

View Full Version : filtration on all in one 20 gal

aqua_dog
02/19/2016, 09:01 AM
I know I post a lot about this but I am really wanting to increase my water quality as best as I can. Im really debating a skimmer but feel like if I do weekly water changes I should be good but I am a nurse and work crazy hours so im worried that on occasion I may miss a little cleaning. also, with the innovative marine, I feel like the sponge things that came with it for the overflow literally do nothing. Is there anything else out there I can use to better my filtration?

ReefWreak
02/19/2016, 09:12 AM
Nothing but high flow and siphoning out detritus when it settles in back chambers and a bit of macro algae is my game now.

Skimmer is good too, even if you're not cleaning it right away. You should be able to dial a skimmer in to skim dry, and only need to be cleaned weekly, or skim wet, when you can clean it out every day or two (and make up lots of extra salt water).

aqua_dog
02/19/2016, 09:16 AM
what skimmer are you using? and is your macro in you display?

ReefWreak
02/19/2016, 09:41 AM
since you sent me a PM with the same question, I'll post the answer here as well for everyone to see:

My build thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2506377

If you look at the fourth and fifth pictures, you can see where I am keeping my macro algae. It is right on the side of my display, towards the back. It's really nice looking, and if I wanted to, I could sell it online as well.

I have a 29g biocube, but you could find somewhere to put a nice looking algae anywhere.

I'm not using a skimmer right now, and I have not used a skimmer in 4 months, and I found my corals doing better without it, but that is only because my tank is very matured, and the macro algae uptakes nutrients instead of a skimmer. I have the Aquaticlife 115, and it is still sitting in the back of my tank, unplugged.

jcreeftankguy
02/19/2016, 11:34 PM
I use an eshopps psk 100 hob on my 20l. I feed heavily every day but only because my skimmer can handle it. Some will day it's overkill but I think it's perfect!

cougareyes
03/06/2016, 10:16 AM
The skimmer will be a great addition, I second the Eshopps HOB skimmers, they come in 2 sizes. The weekly water changes get tiresome.