PDA

View Full Version : Would a V2 and original photon match?

steallife904
02/19/2016, 09:32 AM
I currently have a photon 16 version 1, I am going to need to add another at some point to replace another LED (similar to photon but not reefbreeder photon) because the colors don't really match now. My question is if I ended up replacing it with a photon 16 version 2 would the color match my original photon or is it completely different? By matching color I am referring to the color of the light in the tank. Thank you,

rjallen
02/20/2016, 11:03 PM
I debated answering you because I really don't know. I can tell you the V2 has completely different LEDs arranged in a different pattern. For sure you will not be able to match them using the same value on each. The V2 has 6 channels v your Photon 16's 2 channels. I am sure you could get it close but each person's eyes are different and perceive colors differently. So what's satisfactory for someone else, may drive you crazy.
Your two best options....and you will not like this..... is buy another old model Photon 16. Be warned LED color patterns have evolved so it may not match your light but it will be close and you may not notice any subtle differences.

Second choice is simply buy a larger Photon V2 36 inch model. Keep you other light for a quarantine tank or some other use or sell it to another person.

I will be interested in seeing what Logan says.

steallife904
02/21/2016, 10:47 AM
I ended up just buying another original photon 16.

Reef_Breeders
02/21/2016, 08:58 PM
I debated answering you because I really don't know. I can tell you the V2 has completely different LEDs arranged in a different pattern. For sure you will not be able to match them using the same value on each. The V2 has 6 channels v your Photon 16's 2 channels. I am sure you could get it close but each person's eyes are different and perceive colors differently. So what's satisfactory for someone else, may drive you crazy.
Your two best options....and you will not like this..... is buy another old model Photon 16. Be warned LED color patterns have evolved so it may not match your light but it will be close and you may not notice any subtle differences.

Second choice is simply buy a larger Photon V2 36 inch model. Keep you other light for a quarantine tank or some other use or sell it to another person.

I will be interested in seeing what Logan says.

You basically answered how I would have, the layout won't be exactly the same but you can tune all the colors individually, which allows you to get pretty close with some experimentation.