PDA

View Full Version : Sterilizing quarantine tank

jgranata13
02/19/2016, 12:12 PM
I had a lapse in judgement, bought a seemingly very healthy fish from a store that I probably shouldn't have (sick fish in the tanks; in the moment I decided it would be fine if I did a full 90-day quarantine), and it unfortunately died after two days in my quarantine tank, cause unknown.

I pretty much want to nuke everything that's in there so that not a single molecule that came into the tank with that fish exists after I'm done. I'm just not sure if I can bleach everything that's in there:

-Eheim jäger heater
-two utility pumps
-PVC pipes
-the tank itself is a jbj nano cube. I think it may be glass bu it's not entirely sure

For the stuff that can't be bleached, can anyone suggest other ways of nuking it?

MelloW33
02/19/2016, 12:26 PM
Drain it and let sit to dry.

BlackTip
02/19/2016, 12:37 PM
I use vinegar/water about 50/50 solution. Then, let everything dry out.

soulpatch
02/19/2016, 12:39 PM
I just wipe down with a vinegar/RODI solution and then let dry.

tylersarah
02/19/2016, 12:54 PM
Bleach is the preferred sanitizer, all of the items can be bleached, use a dechlorinator afterwards and rinse well.

MondoBongo
02/19/2016, 01:01 PM
Bleach is the preferred sanitizer, all of the items can be bleached, use a dechlorinator afterwards and rinse well.

this is how i sterilize my QT tanks in between tank transfers. i dump a large load of bleach in them (just regular bleach, no dyes, perfumes, or surfactants - i.e. no "splash free" stuff)

then i let them sit for a day, then drain them, wash them out very well with tap water, dry with paper towels, and let air dry for at least 24 hours.

ca1ore
02/19/2016, 01:31 PM
Bleach is fine, but it isn't really necessary. Just give everything a good cleaning with FW and let it fully dry.