PDA

View Full Version : In tank overflow with PVC's

aiq25
02/19/2016, 07:38 PM
I'm planning on drilling the bottom of my tank (already checked and it's not tempered glass). I'm looking to use some black PVC's and no overflow box. Anyone have any designs or plans? Thanks in advance.

ThisGuy12
02/20/2016, 07:24 AM
I'm planning on drilling the bottom of my tank (already checked and it's not tempered glass). I'm looking to use some black PVC's and no overflow box. Anyone have any designs or plans? Thanks in advance.
What style of overflow do you want? You'll have to do some research on it. I would recommend the Herbie or beananimal but you can use a durso as well.

I would install an overflow if I were you. It will prevent all the water from going out in case of a failure.

aiq25
02/22/2016, 10:59 PM
What style of overflow do you want? You'll have to do some research on it. I would recommend the Herbie or beananimal but you can use a durso as well.

I would install an overflow if I were you. It will prevent all the water from going out in case of a failure.

Basically I want to make some overflows with the PVC piping since they will be in the tank (the tank will be drilled from the bottom), instead of using a overflow box.

jcreeftankguy
02/23/2016, 01:10 AM
Is it absolutely dire that you must drill the bottom. Why not drill through the back or side near the top. That way there's less of a chance of flooding your house!

karimwassef
02/23/2016, 02:24 AM
It will work, but it may be noisy, make lots of bubbles, not pull surface water from far enough, get clogged and suck animals in... :)

I did the same on an old tank - then transitioned the top to a larger PVC pipe (4") and covered it with eggcrate. It can work, but think it through by studying the existing solutions like Herbie and Beananimal first.

ThisGuy12
02/23/2016, 11:23 AM
With the further information I would recommend you search a beananimal setup with a coast to coast overflow. That will minimize the amount of space taken up by an overflow and still be considered internal.

Alternatively, can you drill the back wall of the tank for transfer holes and install an overflow box on the back of the tank? That might be a better option for you.

Djturna4thakidz
02/23/2016, 11:27 AM
I would go with something like the ghost overflow. I second the notion of going beananimal. You will not regret it down the road.

ThisGuy12
02/23/2016, 01:23 PM
Beananimal or Herbie, the way to go! Durso is just a modified standpipe to make it silent, still isn't entirely failsafe.

aiq25
02/23/2016, 05:17 PM
I don't have to drill the bottom of the tank but I thought that might give it the best overall look and allow me to not have PVC behind the tank. This is going in a living room, where the back of the tank will be visible and I would like to avoid showing the pipes.

I will do more research before deciding. Thanks for all the inputs everyone!

karimwassef
02/23/2016, 06:12 PM
I did it on a cube in the middle of the room with all sides visible. It was beautiful, but dangerous for the reasons above.

If I were to do it again, I'd use three pipes for a beananimal with the holes drilled through the bottom in the center. Then I'd modify the tops of the PVC to create an overflow island with elbows to support the BA design. Cover with eggcrate.

That would be silent, efficient, safe, bubble free and animal safe.

Gorgok
02/23/2016, 08:36 PM
If its got to have both long sides visible, why not have an overflow at one end? Like any other peninsula build... The one end with pipes can be skinned pretty tight with a removable cover that wraps around an external box or the elbows/pipes from bulkheads.

Another option is to cover both ends so you have more room to run wires for powerheads and such plus it balances out the appearance, even if you only have the overflow across one end. There are examples of that somewhere here as well...

In both of these cases you can make the covered end(s) into a rock wall as well, giving a good reason why the tank ends there.

aiq25
02/24/2016, 09:35 PM
On a semi-related question what size pipes should I use? I'm thinking 1".

karimwassef
02/24/2016, 09:50 PM
how much return flow? pipe size is a function of flow.

At 100gph, 1" is probably ok.
At 4000gph, you will overflow and flood in seconds.

aiq25
02/24/2016, 09:52 PM
how much return flow? pipe size is a function of flow.

At 100gph, 1" is probably ok.
At 4000gph, you will overflow and flood in seconds.

I haven't decided on a return pump. Couldn't I put a gate valve on the return to limit the flow or on the pump itself? Basically I'm still in the research phase at this point. This is going to be my first tank with a sump.

karimwassef
02/24/2016, 10:28 PM
It's like carpentry. Measure twice, cut once.

If you drill... drilling again is very very hard.

Design comes before build - or you'll make lots of expensive mistakes and regret it.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/DIY_Plumbing_101

It's not perfect, but good enough.

Bagabaga
02/25/2016, 12:00 PM
I'm in he process of designing my overflow as well on a 20 long and I decided like you to drill the bottom but I'm putting in a false all to overflow to the section with my herbie stand pipes so that I can properly space then without cracking the glass. This also limits my display size but makes it easier to get to my sump directly with zero elbows for my overflow.

ThisGuy12
02/25/2016, 12:08 PM
I'm in he process of designing my overflow as well on a 20 long and I decided like you to drill the bottom but I'm putting in a false all to overflow to the section with my herbie stand pipes so that I can properly space then without cracking the glass. This also limits my display size but makes it easier to get to my sump directly with zero elbows for my overflow.Herbies can operate with 45 deg elbows no problem, just make sure you dont have any horizontal runs in the lines.

You could also use flexible PVC pipe (the kind available from pool/spa stores).

jimmyj7090
02/26/2016, 02:12 PM
I haven't decided on a return pump. Couldn't I put a gate valve on the return to limit the flow or on the pump itself? Basically I'm still in the research phase at this point. This is going to be my first tank with a sump.

You can always throttle back centrifugal pumps by putting a valve on the OUTPUT. Never restrict the input, but restricting the output is fine.

That said, don't buy a 4000gph pump and throttle it back to 100gph. Figure out your target GPH, then figure out the head loss you are going to have (see the RC home page, there should be a head loss calculator somewhere, on the lower left I think). Once you have a target GPH and head loss estimate, buy a pump that is rated one size larger than you need.

The problems with running just standpipes include;
-very minimal surface skimming, this is important for optimum protien skimmer performance, and for keeping the bacterial slime off of the surface of the water.
-it's super easy for fish, snails, and anything else to get into straight standpipes.
-you will have eternal sucking and sloshing noises
-if you run any kind of strainer to keep things from getting into the drain, it will need very regular cleaning and any little obstruction is going to mess with the flow rate and the water level in the tank.

Overflow boxes very much do serve functional purposes. I would strongly advise you to try to find a way to incorporate one.