PDA

View Full Version : Peacock bare botom

Latrodectus
02/19/2016, 07:19 PM
Hi i have a small peacock in a 10 gallon

I have built a 30 gallon with a LOT of live rock for this shrimp there only power head and live rock as filtration and weekly water change like i always do i never use mechanical filtration or skimmer. i would like to know
If i can keep peacock the same way as zebra bare botom with only pvc pipe instead of deep sand bed i took this idea from a member of this forum...

It not thats i cant afford aragonite its because i had very bad story of nitrate with mantis shrimp and sand

Sorry for my english i speak french

nmotz
02/19/2016, 10:40 PM
You can run a bare bottom tank with a PVC pipe for a Peacock. I use a thin layer (around 4cm) of aragonite/crushed coral in my tank. I have a 2 inch (5cm) diameter PVC pipe right now that is a little too large for my Peacock. He'll grow into it once he molts a couple more times.

I've never heard of anyone running a Peacock tank with no mechanical filtration but I suppose it's technically possible. The important thing is to keep nitrates low and the water parameters stable. Maybe grow some macroalgae in the tank to absorb excess nitrates? I would also recommend keeping the flow high as it is thought to help with biological filtration. Best of luck to you!

Latrodectus
02/19/2016, 11:38 PM
Yes well i alway run my tank with bio filtration from live rock and yes a lot of flow there a koralia 750 i might had another power head and for mechanical filtration i always have problem with nitrate i prefer doing 2 water change of 25% every week total 50% of the water is change
In my reef tank i was doing 90% water change every week i change a little everyday coral and fish where doing great and then i add a skimmer and stop doing this routine the tank crash ... But i am open for new idea if you recomend me a good filter for the tank. I use a small aquaclear with purigen on my zebra mantis because its such a small tank 10g

EI Gringo
02/20/2016, 05:36 AM
Common misconception, protein skimmers DO NOT remove nitrates. They remove organic molecules. Many people dose reef tanks with vodka or vinegar to couple to the nitrate molecules so that they can then be removed by the skimmer. Google vodka dosing and look into it because that combined with algae scrubbing and macro farming are the best methods to keep nitrates low in a reef tank but will usually require external filtration in the form of a sump.

Latrodectus
02/20/2016, 10:36 PM
i decided to install a small hob filter with filterfloss and activated carbon

i will change the filter floss everyday

nmotz
02/21/2016, 08:56 PM
i decided to install a small hob filter with filterfloss and activated carbon

i will change the filter floss everyday

You can probably just clean it out everyday instead of replacing it. That'll save you some money. I always cleaned out my filter pads a few times before I got rid of them. They usually lasted a few months that way.

Martini5788
02/22/2016, 10:47 AM
You can probably just clean it out everyday instead of replacing it. That'll save you some money. I always cleaned out my filter pads a few times before I got rid of them. They usually lasted a few months that way.

I do the same thing with filter floss. But I buy pillow stuffing in large quantities at a craft store or Walmart and it lasts forever.