PDA

View Full Version : New to calcium reactors-- need your input

ClownsRCoo
02/19/2016, 09:03 PM
I have always dosed 2 part but don't like it very much. I would rather try a calcium reactor because once you get it dialed in it seems much easier to maintain. I have never used one though and don't know much about what's important about the design and what to look for in one.

What are the pros/cons of the dual chamber designs?

Do they require 2 pumps? 1 recirculates the water inside the reactor around and one to draw water from the tank into the reactor and thus force water out of the reactor?

I see the master flex peristaltic pumps mentioned as the best options. When you run your calcium reactor are you only running this pump for short periods of time throughout the day or on very slow continuous rates? I don't have the budget for such an expensive pump from the beginning so what are other reliable and good options?

Does this list pretty much sum up the equipment needed:
-reactor
-media
-ph probe
-recirc pump
-feed pump
-co2 bottle

I've been eyeing the Geosreef CaRx. Anyone have any experience using one on a tank around 180g heavily stocked? Would a 618 be enough or would I need the 624

Member No. 1
02/20/2016, 07:30 AM
Similar thread.
This will answer your questions.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2559267

ca1ore
02/20/2016, 08:42 PM
Personally I like the idea of dual chambers to help to prevent excess CO2 from entering the tank. Also good idea to route effluent into a refugium if you grow chaeto as it'll mop up any rogue CO2. One pump to recirculate within the unit and some way to get water through the unit. Doesn't have to be a dedicated pump - you can T off the return if you want using a needle valve. Personally I use a masterflex, but it doesn't have to be expensive. I paid $100 for an older used unit. They're pretty robust and mine has run fine for two years now. Run the feed continuously. No experience with Geo personally.

Reactor, CO2 bottle, regulator/solenoid, pH probe/controller, feed pump.