PDA

View Full Version : Weird Ammonia Issues

ceruleanseaslug
02/20/2016, 12:30 PM
I have a biocube 29 with some lps, soft corals, a rock flower anemone, a clownfish, a pygmy red rooster waspfish, and a flame hawk. (I'm taking it back to the lfs today because it's too aggressive. My corals haven't been doing incredibly lately, and I have 0 nitrates, 0 nitrite, and 0 phosphate. What I do have is 0.25 ammonia and I don't know why it's there. I don't have any filtration besides live rock, and I do five gallon water changes at least once a week. I put in a little seachem prime but I know I need to find a permanent solution. Could my cycle have crashed?

tmz
02/20/2016, 01:28 PM
.25 could be a testing noise. If the ammonia oxidizing bacteria crashed or was significantly suppressed for some reason, I'd expect a higher reading than 0.25 with fish and food in the system. What do you use to maintain 0 PO4?

jminick2
02/20/2016, 01:34 PM
testing noise lemme guess API, plus maybe a little from salt. If your tank has been set up for awhile and is properly cycled there is really no point in testing ammonia unless something big died or you added liverock. I'm sure its fine.

ceruleanseaslug
02/20/2016, 04:01 PM
Okay well I'll still have to figure out why the corals aren't doing incredibly well. Thank you.

ceruleanseaslug
02/20/2016, 04:03 PM
And honestly I dont do anything to maintain 0 P04 so I guess that might also be a problem with the test kit. It doesn't make any sense to me that it's at 0.

bertoni
02/20/2016, 09:29 PM
I would keep dosing the Prime for a while, although I agree that the ammonia might be a measurement error. I'd probably get a second opinion on the test kit before doing anything.

tmz
02/21/2016, 09:08 AM
Well PO4 can read low especially in new tanks with new sand and light feeding. In any case , I doubt a phosphate deficiency is limiting the ammonia oxidizing bacteria. .25 false readings for ammonia seem to occur with many test kits from time to time.

theman772
02/21/2016, 09:20 AM
How old is your Prime if it's dead you are adding ammonia

ceruleanseaslug
02/27/2016, 08:55 AM
I've only had it for a couple of months and I usually don't add it all I only started when I got the readings