PDA

View Full Version : Help with skimmer brand and type

02tts
02/20/2016, 01:08 PM
So I've spent the last couple of hours reading through threads and haven't quite been able to narrow down which is the best skimmer...aside from the Bubbleking which I just can't justify the cost.

This will be for a FOWLR 300G DT.

Noise is a concern so would like a quiet skimmer.

So, best I can tell the following seems to be the consensus on best skimmer choices:

#1 - Bubble king
#2 - Vertex
#3 - ATB (which I understand the US side went out of business in 2013)
#4 - Elite or SRO by Octopus
#5 - LifeReef
#6 - Aquamaxx

Give the above, I have read a lot of mixed reviews onsome.

On the Vertex and Bubbleking the issue seems to be price, but no other major complains that I can see, but price is a big one of course.

ATB, mixed reviews about customer service and support and with no US support I'm shying away from it, it's also pricey.

On the Reef Octopus, I see them as a cloning, Chinese manufacturing company and I question the research and science behind it but if it works great. I see some people swear by it and are very happy while others are not so happy with its performance.

On the Lifereef, the biggest complain seems to be noise and I can attest to this as my last lifereef skimmer, a VS-24 was annoyingly loud due to the design of a venturi type skimmer.

Can anyone who has had a Lifereef and now uses one of the other brands, or vice versa, chime in on performance and noise, much obliged.

bayoupr
02/20/2016, 01:16 PM
ATB, mixed reviews about customer service and support and with no US support I'm shying away from it, it's also pricey

ATB does have USA support. Not as pricey as a couple of the others you have listed.

02tts
02/20/2016, 01:28 PM
Hmm..support for ATB seems to be via an @comcast.net email...questionable IMO especially given what not too long ago the US support was no more, but in any case, I think too pricey for what it is, I'd do a Bubble king before that.

What are you running? Any personal experience with any of the above?

Drae
02/20/2016, 01:48 PM
Here's my opinion. I prefer needle wheel skimmers so bubble king is tops. Period. Quality top to bottom. Price matters for most people though. Several brands skim just as well for a fraction of the cost bit they don't compare in build quality. Tops on that list are the aquamaxx and jns cone skimmers. Co-2 through co-6 and the cone 5,6,7 from aquamaxx and the sk2-sk7 from jns. Pound for pound best in sump skimmers behind bubble king IMO and experience. Atb was second and with the original airstar pumps they still would be but they changed pumps and I can't comment. Aquamaxx had an em line but they discontinued it. They were the best space savers in my opinion. Chinese pumps imo makes me not even consider a skimmer. Period. German made from bubble king or Italian made. No substitutes. That's jmo

Drae
02/20/2016, 01:51 PM
For your tank I'd get an aquamaxx co-5 or 6. Or the jns sk5.

bayoupr
02/20/2016, 02:41 PM
What are you running? Any personal experience with any of the above?

Had Bubble Kings and ATB's. I like the ATB. Best one I ran, Lifereef Venturi. Many people say venturi skimmers are old school but this skimmer worked better on my system than any BK or ATB or any pinwheel skimmer did.

moondoggy4
02/20/2016, 02:46 PM
The Aqua Maxx EM200 was discontinued not the others.

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_EcoMaxx_EM300_In_Sump_Protein_Skimmer_In_Sump_Venturi_Needle_Wheel_Protein_Skimmers-AquaMaxx-UJ00162-FIPSISNW-vi.html maybe this one on sale as well.

02tts
02/20/2016, 04:23 PM
I think I'm gearing towards the aquamaxx line. For a 300 DT with say a 50 or 60g sump would you use a co-3 or co-4? Or should I go with a co-5 if I'm going to stock the tank heavily?

Is too big too much?

Drae
02/20/2016, 04:26 PM
They rate their skimmers ridiculously. The co-5 would be needed for a 300 gallon tank. That skimmer is a beast. Well balanced and silent. You wouldn't be disappointed.

02tts
06/05/2016, 01:46 PM
They rate their skimmers ridiculously. The co-5 would be needed for a 300 gallon tank. That skimmer is a beast. Well balanced and silent. You wouldn't be disappointed.

Ended up with the cones-q5

So far I love it - excellent build quality and very quiet - just don't have any live stock yet to speak on skim mate behalf. Still cycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk