PDA

View Full Version : Adding a third chamber to calcium reactor

Chicago
02/20/2016, 06:01 PM
OK so here's my question I have a calcium reactor which is a dual reactor it does not seem to meet the demands of the system. Has anyone here added an additional chamber to a calcium reactor. In other words after the first chamber I would incorporate an aftermarket second chamber . The flow between the first chamber and the second chamber would be generated through the use of some type of pump so would not be slow. And then onto the third chamber to raise the pH coming back into the tank ?

Chicago
02/21/2016, 07:15 AM
No one ?

Tigerdragon
02/21/2016, 09:58 AM
How is it not keeping up? Have you adjusted the ph of the reactor to cause the co2 to melt more of your material? The purpose of the dual chamber is actually to help bleed off excess co2. If the reactor is not able to keep up it may be undersized for you system

AZRippster
02/21/2016, 10:41 AM
If the reactor is not able to keep up it may be undersized for you system

This is likely the problem and what I'm facing now. My current Calc Reactor (AquaC RX-1) is a great reactor and provided more than enough capacity/capability for our 180G, however with our 450G it simply cannot keep up. I did add a secondary chamber, primarily for pH buffering (which is nominal at best), but cannot keep up. In the interim until I upsize my Calc reactor, I use Kalk, which has been great. I can easily maintain pH greater than 8.2 and it is keeping me afloat on Alk/Calc.

outy
02/21/2016, 05:06 PM
The flow between the first chamber and the second chamber would be generated through the use of some type of pump so would not be slow.

You should be able to plumb it in to your existing circulation pump by using two 90degree elbows just before the intake of the pump. One output and the other return.

I cant think of a reason why it wont work.

Chicago
02/21/2016, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the input

ca1ore
02/21/2016, 11:11 PM
Assume you've played with CO2 bubble rate and effluent rate? My own experience with these things is that even an undersized unit can be goosed to meet the needs of big tanks - you just end up having to replenish the media more frequently.

Chicago
02/22/2016, 08:30 AM
that's what I am doing now... I am actually thinking of adding in a pump on the discharge side to pull water and keep a nice steady flow out.. thanks

outy
02/22/2016, 11:18 AM
that's what I am doing now... I am actually thinking of adding in a pump on the discharge side to pull water and keep a nice steady flow out.. thanks

If you need to do that you may have other problems

It is not needed

AZRippster
02/22/2016, 12:26 PM
What type of "Feed Pump" are you using? If it's a small pump that can't handle head pressure at all, then the media you're using may be impacting the ability of effluent to pass from cylinder to cylinder. I don't see any need to have anything "pull" unless your "push" is insufficient. In that case, you may need to consider changing your feed pump, media type, or both.

ca1ore
02/22/2016, 09:24 PM
FWIW, if you use a masterflex to govern effluent flow rate; pull is actually better than push in my estimation.