PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tangs and their Aggression.

Gruddy
02/20/2016, 07:38 PM
I have a yellow tang in my 72" long 125 Gallon Tank. I know they are aggressive to other tangs and fish that look like them, but are they aggressive to all yellow fish? Also, what tangs could I possibly put in? I heard that Powder Browns were alright because they barely look like a yellow tang... Is this true?

Thanks, Collin :lolspin:

wm jim
02/20/2016, 07:58 PM
Never had yellows have problem with orange shoulders tangs.

ca1ore
02/20/2016, 09:39 PM
Yellow tang was the first in my 265. I've subsequently added a hippo, purple, Achilles, Sailfin and chevron. The key is adequate space, a QT conditioned addition, an acclimation box and a mirror taped to one end of the tank.

I do not find tangs to be particularly aggressive to fish outside their genus.

Sapelo
02/21/2016, 09:13 AM
Agree that the key is not to mix within genus.
I have two yellows with a kole, Blonde Naso and Powder Brown in a 300 gallon. Just give them enough room.

CHSUB
02/21/2016, 05:38 PM
Yellow tang was the first in my 265. I've subsequently added a hippo, purple, Achilles, Sailfin and chevron. The key is adequate space, a QT conditioned addition, an acclimation box and a mirror taped to one end of the tank.

I do not find tangs to be particularly aggressive to fish outside their genus.

op, sorry to hijack.....:bounce2:

were your tangs added in that order, chevron last? what was the size difference of the other tangs when adding chevron? was the chevron a juvenile?

i added a small/juvenile chevron to a larger hippo and purple years ago, and it went fine; i'm wondering if i was lucky or this is normal? i'm thinking about adding a small/juvenile chevron to some much larger tangs. i feel ctenochaetus tangs are ignored by other types of tangs? pictured below is the chevron added to a 92 gallon corner: was fine for years!!!

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b606/CHSUB/Picture%20022a_zpsrdmw5b0c.jpg (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/CHSUB/media/Picture%20022a_zpsrdmw5b0c.jpg.html)

ca1ore
02/21/2016, 10:39 PM
were your tangs added in that order, chevron last? what was the size difference of the other tangs when adding chevron? was the chevron a juvenile?

Yes, added in that order. Hippo was a bit bigger than the yellow, purple and Achilles about the same size, sailfin bigger and chevron maybe a tad smaller. Chevron is about 4" and in transition from juvie to adult coloration. Hippo just got ignored, as did the sailfin (he's big); but there was significant aggression towards the purple, Achilles and chevron. All three, however, spent 2-4 months in QT getting fed multiple times a day and were fully acclimated so they were able to survive the week or so of hazing. Some nice sized chunks of fins missing though.

scooter31707
02/22/2016, 09:07 AM
I agree with everyone ^^^. On that note, I think the personality of different fish has a lot to do with it also. I had a Yellow tang that didn't allow nothing to come in. He was around 2.5 inches and I brought other Tangs at least 3 inches and used an acclimation box, and still no better. I wouldn't recommend the Powder Blue in that size tank. I would do a 180 or bigger. Maybe look at the White Cheek Tang, same family, smaller and a little more mild-mannered than the Powder blue.

azcrazy
02/22/2016, 11:34 AM
I got kole, 2 spot and scopas all get along just fine my tank is a 180g 6x2x2

Gruddy
02/24/2016, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the replies, do you all think that a Bristletooth Tomini Tang would get along with a yellow tang?

scooter31707
02/25/2016, 10:28 AM
I think the Tomini would have to be introduced first and well established before the Yellow Tang. Tomini are kind of a shy fish, take a little bit for them to get comfortable, IME.