PDA

View Full Version : Eshopps R200 or Trigger Emerald 26 sump?

Radioheadx14
02/21/2016, 08:05 AM
I am planning to drill my 40g breeder when I move next week and hook up a sump. I have made DIY sumps in the past, and don't feel like making the effort, so I'm looking to buy a sump that I can use on the 40g breeder and reuse when I upgrade in a year or two. I want something that will really add volume to my system and is quiet.

I have been eyeing the Eshopps r-200 gen 3 sump for around $280 and the trigger systems emerald 26 for around $330. Both seem to have the silence overflow design and filter socks. My stand will definitely accommodate the 30" R200. The Emerald has 1 return and the Eshopps has 2... I'm planning on adding a glass holes 750 overflow so I really only need 1, but the 2 on the eshopps might be nice for a future, larger tank.

Question: Would any of these systems have a minimum overflow rate with regards to the filter sock setup? I am not looking to have a ton of flow in the sump. I've always liked lower flow into sumps as they are quieter and allows the skimmer to have more time to clean water before sending it back.

Any input on these? It seems both are great choices but I am worried about minimum flow.

Piranha_Owns
02/21/2016, 08:13 AM
I own the Tideline 48 and the build quality seems pretty heavy. The packaging had thick Styrofoam surrounding the entire sump and was well labeled glass inside.

As far as a minimum flow requirement no there is not you could get away with a trickle if you wanted. The maximum will be based off your noise tolerance and bulkhead configuration.

cougareyes
02/21/2016, 01:19 PM
I have an Eshopps RS-300 on my 210 with dual overflows, I love it. Excellent simple straight forward design, if you have a quiet pump you might find yourself checking to see if its running. I then put a RS-100 on my 90, would have done the 200 but a tight fit already, barely room for anything else. Not sure about minimum flow, for the 40g maybe you only have to use one overflow and balance the output of your return pump.

Radioheadx14
02/21/2016, 03:00 PM
I would only use one overflow but would be nice to have the option to use 2 when i upgrade down the line.