PDA

View Full Version : Creative Overflow Uses

CarrieB
02/21/2016, 12:24 PM
Probably because I'm suffering from SSS (Small Sump Syndrome), I'm eying the real estate in the overflow and wondering if I could be using it for something useful. Anyone put LR in their overflow? Or make it into a funny shaped fuge?

Sapelo
02/21/2016, 03:55 PM
No. Live rock in your overflow becomes a detritus trap with no way for you to clean it.
Sorry.

gone fishin
02/21/2016, 03:58 PM
I pretty much let the overflows do their thing. I have seen HOB refugiums advertised. I have not had one so I could not give you a review.

HefeWeizen
02/21/2016, 04:11 PM
If your sump is small just build an ATS. They did not really take up much space in your sump

CStrickland
02/21/2016, 04:30 PM
I would try to resist SSS. The idea that empty space is "wasted" has gotten a few reefers into trouble where they wind up spending $ on unnecessary media and gadgets, or creating detritus traps by cluttering up the space. For a lot of tanks a wasted empty space where detritus can settle for easy removal is way better for nutrient control than excess rocks or fuges that aren't big enough to remove much waste.

I like to keep it simple, and wait until there's a problem before I start seeking solutions.

Dkuhlmann
02/21/2016, 04:41 PM
I agree with the others, not much you can really put in there. That said the only thing that I put in mine and its still there is the tip end of my digital thermometer for taking the temp of the tank water. Hey it's not much but I don't see that white ugly thing in my tank anymore :D

CarrieB
02/21/2016, 06:36 PM
Thanks guys. I will resist.:-)

BFG
02/22/2016, 06:36 PM
Or you could change the display tank and use another type of overflow.