PDA

View Full Version : First drilled glass hole

dpulve
02/21/2016, 12:25 PM
Well it was just about as easy as everyone says, but my pilot hole was a tad too big which resulted in a little chipping. Don't think its that bad unless someone has a different opinion?

crocogator106
02/21/2016, 12:43 PM
I'm about to drill mine as well and I'm pretty nervous about it. Just curious, did you tape the bottom side of the hole? I have read this helps reduce the risk of chipping.

dpulve
02/21/2016, 01:01 PM
yup i taped it. It was actually pretty easy, I think the only thing i had wrong was my guide hole was too big which caused the drill bit to slip a bit right when i started. However after that easy peezy! Took about two mins didn't apply pressure just let drill do work like everyone says.

dpulve
02/21/2016, 01:07 PM
actually taping the hole is to keep it from chipping/shattering glass on other side when it drops. I actually chipped outside of glass as you can see in photo and I think that was just because bit slipped a bit right when i started.

crocogator106
02/21/2016, 01:13 PM
I've got to do 2 holes for my overflow. I ordered the overflow kit off ebay which is coming with the bit to drill the hole as well as the overflow, bulkheads and ball valves. It has 2- 1" holes connecting the skimmer to the overflow box (through tank) and 3- 3/4" holes for the drains. It also comes with the emergency drain pipe and 2 fixtures for the 2 drains.

akmzero
02/21/2016, 03:45 PM
The knock off of the synergy ghost? Lemme know how you like it. I bought the synergy but I might have another tank project coming up.