PDA

View Full Version : Pronouncing Latin names

GHsaltie
02/21/2016, 12:43 PM
I haven't posted anything in quite some time because I have had some delays regarding my tank build, but in my downtime I have been trying to memorize some of the Latin names for the more common fish in the hobby. I've started with the basslets mostly, they seem to be easier, as well as the Acanthurus and Zebrasoma tangs. Although it's relatively easy to remember the names, pronouncing them is an entirely different story. So I was wondering if any of you seasoned veterans know of some resources, courses, etc. that might help me along the way? In my researching and studying I am finding that I really enjoy learning about the Latin names and I would like to actually be able to pronounce them without creating a murder scene. (I wasn't sure where exactly to put this thread, so if it needs rehoming please go ahead.)

thegrun
02/21/2016, 02:58 PM
Flashback to Latin class in high school! Do they even offer Latin anymore? I suspect there should be good Latin dictionaries available on line with pronunciation symbols, I would have to dig through dusty old boxes to find one of my old dictionaries.

wrott
02/21/2016, 03:19 PM
Sites like this help some:
http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=chaetomorpha&submit=Submit

GHsaltie
02/21/2016, 03:43 PM
Thanks guys! I'll have to do some browsing around for some online dictionaries. I think that Rosetta Stone has a course for Latin, but that stuff is expensive. I've actually been wanting to get their Spanish course, except that all my spare cash seems to keep going to my tank build lol. I wish that the Latin lovers were not the minority, I find the scientific names very fascinating and it certainly makes it easier to know what fish is being discussed, especially for an animal that is relatively undiscovered and doesn't have a commone name. If anybody else finds or thinks of something by all means share!

CStrickland
02/21/2016, 04:22 PM
Well, the good thing about a dead language is we are all sort of guessing at the pronunciation :) I wouldn't worry about sounding too silly, the fact that your trying to say them at all is kind of amazing. If you learn what the standard pronunciation symbols mean, and try to follow them, you'll be miles ahead of almost everyone else.

Dkuhlmann
02/21/2016, 04:30 PM
There are a few free apps for your phone that help with some simple beginner Spanish.

CStrickland
02/21/2016, 04:34 PM
That's a good tip!
Also my public library has Rosetta, but you have to like sit in the library and use it - not for checking out.

JokerGirl
02/21/2016, 04:42 PM
They definitely do still offer Latin classes still. I took it all 4 years of high school. It's been a pretty big asset to me over the years.

I think one of the biggest debates you'll find is the proper pronunciation of Chaetomorpha.

In Latin, ch together a pronounced as a hard k, and ae is pronounced as "ay" instead of "eh" like you have in English. It makes for some interesting conversations since it's so hugely mispronounced. :D :D

GHsaltie
02/21/2016, 06:22 PM
Interesting, in the short time that I have been in this hobby I have heard about a dozen different pronunciations for Chaetomorpha. So it would be pronounced as k-ay-tomorpha, correct? Is Cheatomorpha of Latin origin? Seems like a silly question but I never thought of it as being more than the name of an algae. Since I'm out of school now and I'm not in college maybe it would be worth looking into some online classes for Latin.

GHsaltie
02/21/2016, 06:25 PM
There are a few free apps for your phone that help with some simple beginner Spanish.

Do you know of some that I could look into? I've never been much of an app person but it might help some until I can get the Rosetta Stone courses.

Dkuhlmann
02/21/2016, 07:18 PM
Just search Google and you'll find what you're looking for more often than not.

Buzz1329
02/21/2016, 08:50 PM

Cool.

Thanks,

Mike

Buzz1329
02/21/2016, 08:53 PM

Very cool.