PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish die when selling to lfs

Pearfish
02/21/2016, 01:09 PM
So i finally got the breeding and Rearing almost down. Now i have a new problem. When i sell to the lfs they die within a week. It makes no sense my fish are in a system(of just clowns) and the lfs runs off of a huge system. What can be the problem. The lfs owner suggested i add a wild fish. My fish are disease free when they leave my tank but die within a week at lfs. The owner says they eat and stuff but he insists its their immune system. any thoughts?

Reaper591
02/21/2016, 01:56 PM
I'm assuming you've already checked the difference between his water parameters and yours for proper acclimation and to reduce stress? It is possible that your tank, while healthy, is too "sterile". Adding a wild caught fish to your tank is a 50/50 chance of success because, depending on what their immune system is lacking, the addition of a wild caught fish with any number of bacteria/fungus/virus trailing along might wipe out your captive bred fish instead of inoculate them. I would recommend a safer route of natural additives to boost their immune system such as S.E.L.C.O. Boost which I have personally used with great luck. I know of others who have used an additive called Voogle but I have no personal experience with it.

Pearfish
02/21/2016, 02:33 PM
Ok thanks for the help!!! And yes our parameters match up and acclimation process is very thorough.

Reaper591
02/21/2016, 02:36 PM
Ok thanks for the help!!! And yes our parameters match up and acclimation process is very thorough.

You're welcome!

Moort82
02/21/2016, 03:09 PM
I mean nothing by this, but how good is the lfs? I've sold fish to shops and some haven't made it and it wasn't the quality of my fish but the lfs's care. I know this as I ran a shop with commercial system and never had a problem.
I'd ask if they qt or run any meds.

Pearfish
02/21/2016, 03:20 PM
Its a really good lfs. He does really good buisness and has been around for a long time. Everything looks heathy and his store is really clean. He doesn't run qt and idk about the meds

Moort82
02/21/2016, 03:39 PM
Is he the only placed you have sold them to?

Pearfish
02/21/2016, 06:13 PM
yes. haven't gotten around to other places yet.

BlueCat1949
02/22/2016, 08:24 AM
Even the best of LFSs have a ton of wild caught fish coming and going and their systems are breeding grounds for harmful bacteria etc. Your fish have been raised in a closed system and kept away from most of this stuff so they have no immunity to the WC diseases.

I really don't know how you can overcome this problem but maybe someone in the aquaculture business could give you tips.

When I raised seahorses to sell I simply refused to sell to shops because I worried they would not do well in LFSs.

I bought a CB clownfish in a lfs in 1999 and I still have her in my tank so it can be done.

Chad Vossen
02/23/2016, 10:50 AM
Oddly, I actually recommend holding your fish in a QT system with sick fish prior to selling them. Get your clownfish sick, and get them healthy again before selling. They'll do better.

I sold a bunch of clownfish to a public aquarium that had clownfish from ORA and other big clownfish breeders die off when added to their tank. I sold them 30 clownfish, and every single one survived because I grew them out in a system with ich, and likely some other diseases.

Basically, your fish need their vaccinations.

CoryWM
02/23/2016, 01:09 PM
I own a freshwater store. I'd say there are lots of stores that aren't good a keeping fish alive in general.

How have fish done that you've given to other hobbyists etc? I'd make sure that they die on other systems too before changing your system. You can run into weird things like too much flow in a tank for the amount they're being fed etc. Temperature can be lower at a store too which can cause some stress etc.

Before possibly contaminating your systems. I'd research more. Does he do well with clowns from the wholesaler? Or is he losing all clowns etc?