PDA

View Full Version : Fully cycled tanks for ttm?

dread240
02/21/2016, 06:24 PM
yea I know... Most people normally don't worry about it, but I'm thinking here.

My new house I'll have a nice 10' x 15' fish room for frag tank, qt tanks, water mixing, yadda yadda. I have had not so pleasant experiences with wrasses trying to get them healthy and into my old system, but I was doing TTM with 5 gallon buckets and then into a bare bottom QT tank so it could be broken down/cleaned yadda yadda.

I've been thinking, setup 6 (or 7) 10g tanks with substrate and a few pieces of rock to make it a 'normal tank'. Heater and a HOB filter and a small powerhead, nothing crazy. Transfer the fish every 2-3 days depending on how my schedule works out, and then just let them sit fallow for the next few weeks before I get another shipment. Then they'll move to a 40 breeder for observation for a few weeks before hitting the display.

I'm upgrading from a 75g display to a 315g display at the new place so I'm going to have a quite a bit of fish coming in over the new few months. I'm also going to have seperate coral QT and frag stations that are not tied into the main system. End result for the display system only is going to be over 400g, so I don't want to tear it down for anything once it's there.

Anybody else ever done something like this or am I just being bat **** cray cray?

kmbyrnes
02/21/2016, 07:01 PM
When I was stocking my tanks, I kept a cycled QT, but still used 10 or 20 g uncycled for TTM. There is no real downside to swapping tanks and water every few days other than the cleaning. But it virtually guartantees ich free DT's.
Just my .02

dread240
02/21/2016, 11:16 PM
My main thought is just for those finnicky type fish.

Mandarins for grazing things
Wrasse's for burying

Probably still not needed, but was an interesting thought in my head.

snorvich
02/22/2016, 03:58 AM
When I was stocking my tanks, I kept a cycled QT, but still used 10 or 20 g uncycled for TTM. There is no real downside to swapping tanks and water every few days other than the cleaning. But it virtually guartantees ich free DT's.
Just my .02

This.

scooter31707
02/22/2016, 08:57 AM
The problem with this, if I am understanding you right is that you will have to leave each fallow for 72 days to make sure the ich is gone. What I do with Wrasses during TTM is I use play sand from Home Depot that is dirt cheap, and I go to the Dollar store and get 2 tubberware bowls. I feel one container up with sand and place in the 1st TTM tank. Clean the container along with the tank and all other equipment and let air dry for at least 24 hours, preferably 48 hours. Once the next transfer comes, I use the other container with new sand.

triggreef
02/22/2016, 08:20 PM
The problem with this, if I am understanding you right is that you will have to leave each fallow for 72 days to make sure the ich is gone. What I do with Wrasses during TTM is I use play sand from Home Depot that is dirt cheap, and I go to the Dollar store and get 2 tubberware bowls. I feel one container up with sand and place in the 1st TTM tank. Clean the container along with the tank and all other equipment and let air dry for at least 24 hours, preferably 48 hours. Once the next transfer comes, I use the other container with new sand.

That's what I do for the wrasses as well. Although, I keep a cycled 72g set up for wrasse and other finicky fish. They start in the 72g where I hit them with prazi for 2 rounds. I give them as long as they need in there to get used to life, and make sure there's nothing else I need to deal with.

When I'm ready, and they are ready, I start ttm in 20g tanks, and the last transfer goes to my display. Works out very well for me. A big benefit is not having to wait out any fallow period before starting a new group.