PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor question - alk up again

Reel North
02/21/2016, 08:21 PM
I am getting a bit frustrated. I have a lifereef calcium reactor LCR-2. It's a great reactor, and my issue is not with it.

I also have a aquarium plants regulator, which is also awesome

Here's where my head explodes.

I have a 220 gallon sps dominated reef, with a large and small clam. Most of my corals aren't that large, but there are a few nice colonies, as well as a couple (3) montipora. I am getting excellent growth.

I ran into an issue with dropping mag, so I have added zeomag to the reactor, which is holding it around 1280.

I'm trying to keep my alk at around 8. I test every other day now as I make adjustments on the reactor. I've kept my effluent flow at 60ml/min. I have the psi on my regular at just under 6 on the dial. My bubble count is now down to a bubble every 10 seconds, which is as slow as it goes. In the bubble counter, that translates to about 60 small bubbles per minute. All I have left for an adjustment is to drop the psi being delivered to the regulator.

I also do a 50 gallon wc every 2 weeks.

Nitrate around 10 and po4 around .03.

What is going on here?

chercm
02/21/2016, 10:26 PM
try this method :

https://youtu.be/gwlvfgDvQqg

Reel North
02/22/2016, 06:14 AM
Oh my god. That is probably the absolutely most logical thing I have ever seen on the Internet.

THANK YOU X 1 MILLION.

chercm
02/22/2016, 06:56 AM
Oh my god. That is probably the absolutely most logical thing I have ever seen on the Internet.

THANK YOU X 1 MILLION.

hope that helps .

Reel North
02/22/2016, 02:53 PM
I started where he said.

I'm right in that tough spot where kalk isn't enough, and a dialled down reactor is too much.

Reel North
02/23/2016, 06:03 PM
Well..... I did as described in the video. And bingo. For the first time, the alk is steady 2 days in a row. 7.3 off. 7.4 on.