PDA

View Full Version : Angry Clown!

brians_224
02/22/2016, 08:54 AM
Thanks for your time!

I have a 45 gallon tank - that for more than 2 years has been the home to a single clown fish (ocelarris perculia). No other tank mates except for a yellow watchman goby, and inverts. The goby stayed at the bottom, not much interaction with the clown.

Recently, at the encouragement of my wife, we've been trying to introduce additional fish to the tank. The clown is less than thrilled - constantly chasing the new arrivals. Currently the clown is in a tupperware floating in the tank - in a timeout of sorts.

I totally understand the clown's behavior, I'd likely do the same. Will the clownish ever become accepting of new fish? Any tips on how to make this transition easier?

Recently added(over 2 weeks):
Royal gramma
3 blue green chromis
Bicolor blenny

Thanks again.

Sapelo
02/22/2016, 09:30 AM
Well...the clown and the gramma might learn to coexist, and probably the blenny, but I'd be surprised if you are able to get 3 chromis to coexist in a 45 at all, they are just too territorial.
You could try rearranging your rocks to throw your clown off his game, kinda make the house seem new, but if I were in your shoes I'd take back two of those chromis.
Good luck.

Sugar Magnolia
02/22/2016, 09:43 AM
Yes, rearranging the rockwork should help. You can also use one of those hang inside breeding containers to keep the clown in for a few days.

whosurcaddie
02/22/2016, 10:44 AM
Yes, rearranging the rockwork should help. You can also use one of those hang inside breeding containers to keep the clown in for a few days.

Yes this will also let the other fish interact with her and she can see the other fish are not a threat as well.

Martini5788
02/22/2016, 10:58 AM
I saw this tip on another forum and I have found it works really really well. But instead of the breeder net, I use strawberry containers and a mag float to
Keep it in place. Gets better flow than a breeder net and food will fall out rather than get stuck and rot in the bottom.