PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of white clear algea / bacteria !?!

ejsing86
02/22/2016, 09:26 AM
I found that what I thought was an algea, is more likely a bacteria (after some research). My reef values are pretty much spot on and corals are doing well - if anything I lag abit nitrate and phosphates :twitch:

I have no other algae problems, and my system is only filtered by a skimmer and water changes, and it's very light loaded with fish

How do I get rid og that wierd bacteria?? - btw - It sems to get around 3-4mm long and not evolve from there... and as mentioned - has no colour - only white and clear look to it - Not much info on internet about this - so please HELP :wave:

(I have tried introducing good bacteria - Dr. Tims to counter but with no luck)

Many Regards Kristian

Pictures (algea mentioned circled with red):

Jone
02/22/2016, 09:36 AM
do you dose any Amino/Vitamin C to the system??

ejsing86
02/22/2016, 09:55 AM
Nope.. Could that be a solution?

ejsing86
02/23/2016, 02:23 AM
I found a threat saying to different things about removal of this "ghost algae":

1. That it helps to raise nitrate and phosphate levels, so normal algae can outcompete the ghost algae/bacterie - and let CUC take care of normal algae

2. use API algaefix marine, without waterchanges during the process. But still with wet skimming

Amino/vitamin C mentioned above anything to say in all this???

What of the two/(three) would you guys recommend me trying??

Btw my tank is bb if that could be usefull info!

Sk8r
02/23/2016, 08:16 AM
Just found some in my own tank, down in a dark corner underneath rockwork.

I do dose carbon, and wouldn't be surprised if that daily dose of vinegar has something to do with it---that or some bacterium hitchhiking in with the vinegar.

Jone
02/23/2016, 08:42 AM
Sorry,,usually these kinds of bacterial growths are the result of dosing aminos/vitamin C..I have expereinced this myself Nope.. Could that be a solution?